Spotlight Cam Not Capturing People

I have six spotlight cams, and half of them have the same problem: they pick up tiny actions in the distance, but don’t pick up people 10 feet away. I’ve tried using motion zones (they don’t work) I’ve tried not using motions zones (also doesn’t work) and am reaching a stage of intense frustration with these cameras. They’ve missed countless crimes on my property, yet every dog walker and car way off in the distance is captured. I’ve turned smart alerts on, I’ve turned them off. Sensitivity adjustments this way and that also did exactly… nothing. This is the case both at night and in full daylight.
Did not receive notification of the response to this post, but the cameras are at three different levels, anywhere from face level to 12 feet.
I have seen the link below, so no need to post it as a solution.

Hi @operaflute. How high are your Spotlight Cams installed? If all six of your Spotlight Cams are picking up motion farther out from your home rather than on your property, they may be installed too high. An installation of about 8 to 9 feet is what is recommended for optimal motion detection. Another important factor to consider is the angle of the Camera, since you likely do not want too much of the street captured in the Camera’s view. For more in-depth assistance, I’d recommend following up with our support team since you have six Cameras that you’re experiencing this concern with.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have six soloar spotlight cams, and half of them have the same problem: they pick up tiny actions in the distance, but don’t pick up people 10 feet away. I’ve tried using motion zones (they don’t work) I’ve tried not using motions zones (also doesn’t work) and am reaching a stage of intense frustration with these cameras. They’ve missed countless crimes on my property, yet every dog walker and car way off in the distance is captured. I’ve turned smart alerts on, I’ve turned them off. Sensitivity adjustments this way and that also did exactly… nothing. This is the case both at night and in full daylight.
I did not receive notification of the response to my prior post (which was marked solved but is decidedly NOT solved), but to supply the add’l info, the cameras are at three different levels, anywhere from 5 to 12 feet.
I have seen the link below, so no need to post it as a solution.

@operaflute Thanks for confirming the mounting height. Having your Spotlight Cams mounted too low or too high will impact the device’s ability to detect motion. The recommended mounting height is about 8 to 9 feet. I’d suggest adjusting the installation height to get closer to that recommendation. If that doesn’t help with the motion detection on your Spotlight Cams, the next best step would be to get in touch with our support team so they can look into this further with you. The Ring Community is a public forum where we can help with general questions and concerns, but more advanced troubleshooting requires the assistance of our support team.

If one camera is installed at about face level and pointed level, should I reasonably expect it to be able to pick up a person 10 feet away?

1 Like