Solar Panel Not Connected

Hi there
I keep noticing on my ring cameras that sometimes they switch from “Connected” to “Not Connected” on the solar status. Sometimes they’ll fix themselves or if I go and unplug the solar panel and plug it back in to the camera it’ll come up as “Connected” again.
Is this normal or anything I can try?
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @ian0. I would make sure that you have a firm connection with the connector and that there is nothing obstructing it. If there is debris in the way, the connector might not be fully seated, giving an intermittent connection. Also, make sure the location of your Solar Panel is getting at least 4 hours of sunlight per day. I hope this helps!

1 Like

I am having same issue with two of my solar panels

1 Like

Same problem here. Will it show as not connected if it is not charged or completely dead?
If so, that explains it

1 Like

Mine do this too and it’s normally at night when it’s not getting any sun.

It may also show this in the morning but if I start live view (which then does a health check) it will show as connected again after a minute.

1 Like

I had the same issue. For two years my ring solar panels were connected and working great. Just recently all my solar panels no longer show connected to my camera and door cam.

1 Like

Mine are doing the same thing. I have called support over and over and they haven’t helped. They keep telling me it the temp outside which is BS. I wish they would do a firmware update to fix this issue

Hi there, neighbors! When it comes to charging the battery with a Solar Panel, obtaining a successful and effective connection can require some fine tuning, especially for optimal performance during the colder months of the year when sunlight might be limited in some regions of the world.

Starting with a fully charged battery and ensuring for several hours of direct sunlight to the Solar Panel will help, as will clearing the panel of any debris. Your Solar Panel connection should be effective depending on battery drain factors shared in our Community post.

If they are not, or this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

This is your standard answer. I have called more than 3 times and get the same responses from yoir “team” Everytime. This is not a camera issue. It’s a firmware issue that RING has to fix. After reading the hundreds of complaints from people that experience the same problem within the same time frame there is no other explanation. I have also learned that I don’t need to climb a ladder and reset the cameras (yes 3 that all have the same issue) to reconnect. I have discovered that if I change a few settings and then do a live view it resets again and reconnects. Come on RING. get your act together and fix this issue.

I’m having the same issue also. Early morning whilst still dark it says the solar panel is disconnected , after it gets light it’s OK.
All connections are fine, not that a connection would come loose and then fix itself at the same time every day!

Same problem. Sometimes says connected and then not connected. Checked connections having to climb a ladder each time, cleaned panel, still same problem day or night. Contacted support twice with no resolution. Either the panel is bad or a problem with the app. So many reports of this problem online must mean it’s not an isolated issue and needs to be resolved by Ring.

I would like to bump this thread. I just purchased the Spotlight solar and am having the same exact issue. It shows the FW is updated. I had reconnected the panel and it was working fine and now shows that it’s disconnected again. As others have mentioned, climbing a ladder each time this happens is an unacceptable fix for this issue. It seems like the “just snap in” connection is not a good connection and the solar panel should have stayed with the screw in connection.

Edit/Update: It seems like running a live view as another use mentioned some how forced the status to change to “connected”. I will continue to monitor how it works. Maybe the “health check” needs to run more often?

The “not connected” thing is 100% a firmware issue. The message should be something like “connected but not charging”. Pretty poor that Ring can’t be arsed to fix it after knowing about it for such a long time. It would certainly save them a lot of support calls.

Aaaaah
Solar panel is not connected…
So frustrating that you have to be checking if the camera and the solar panel communicate.
In device settings I do a REBOOT and it works again, for a day.
It is BS about cleaning the plug, screwing it down etc.
If it was a car, it would be recalled.
Ring, you must fix it.

1 Like

Wondered why my outdoor camera battery was draining and now realised that the solar panel has disappeared. How can I reset the camera without climbing up a ladder. Similarly can I reset the Siren as well?

Hi @Zenonas. If you have tried the steps mentioned in the previous comments and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Hi @Steve_W. If your Camera is online, you can reboot it using the Ring app. As for your Siren, you will not be able to reboot it using the Ring app.

Same issue here. Haven’t been able to find solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.