Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
B
Rotate image for any/all Ring cams in app's device settings
hardwired-security-cameras
device-settings
wireless-security-cameras
app-request
Aloha! Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams in the device settings. I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams...they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money from all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt would eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam). So, what is the solution to appease everyone? 1) Ring adds the functionality to the app to allow us to rotate the view of ANY of their cameras, including outdoor cams, in the app's device settings. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then "level" the image in the software.) 2) In the app, when the user toggles the "Rotate View" to "On", have a popup that states something like, "By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID if this cam was not mounted in an upright orientation and water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.". The user could click "I agree" to continue or "Cancel" to cancel the setting change. This solution doesn't cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+). Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Thumbs-Up/Kudos so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done. Stay safe and well, Aloha!

05-09-2020 01:16:05

Responses (89)

C
I have the doorbell pro. I am looking for an option to rotate the video by 90 degrees so I can monitor my front porch in portrait mode to capture more of the floor. In the standard mode more than 50% of the view is only capturing walls.

21-04-2020 12:26:03

B
Aloha! First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams. Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams...they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam). So, what is the solution to appease everyone? 1) Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then "level" the image in the software.) 2) In the app, when the user toggles the "Rotate View" to "On", have a popup that states something like, "By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.". This solution doesn't cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+). Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done. Stay safe and well, Aloha!

05-09-2020 12:46:05

J
Can we have the option of rotating the video on the app when checking on phones or tablets, rather than it automatically doing it? It's a bit excessive when just wanting to flick through videos

27-04-2020 09:56:47

R
I just bought a stickup cam and to get the full view, I used the wall mount and rotated the camera 90 degrees so that it is the equivalent of landscape mode. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any settings nor solutions online to rotate the video 90 degrees. This is a pretty basic feature so I’m surprised it isn’t supported. Please add it or let me know if I missed something! Thanks

30-05-2020 06:58:33

B
Aloha! First, Ring should update the app to allow us to rotate the image for ALL their cams. Second, I understand why Ring stopped allowing rotation for their outdoor cams...they are weather-resistant in the correct upright orientation, but not updside down or even sideways. Considering Ring warranties (and extends the warranty for Ring Protect Plus) their outdoor cams, they would be losing money by all the claims by those inverting their outdoor cams (yes, water or dirt will eventually get into the electronics of the inverted cam). So, what is the solution to appease everyone? 1) Ring adds the functionality to the app to rotate the view of ALL their cameras, including outdoor cams. (It would be a great feature to have 360 degree adjustable increments, so that a user could physically install the cam however it best fits, then "level" the image in the software.) 2) In the app, when the user toggles the "Rotate View" to "On", have a popup that states something like, "By using this feature, the warranty will be VOID for this cam if water or dirt intrusion is found to be the cause of the issue.". This solution doesn't cost the user any more money, is quick, and costs the least for Ring (a software change is way quicker and costs way less than changing the harware to make it waterproof/IP65+). Problem solved? We all happy now? If so, click the Kudos (below) so that Ring sees this and takes note and gets this feature done. Stay safe and well, Aloha!

05-09-2020 12:42:29

J
I completely agree with this simple solution. My frustration level is unnecessarily high, because I’m satisfied with all the other features on my 14 cameras in two locations. Can’t believe anyone is listening…

24-03-2022 01:18:46

P
Where is the option to vote "THUMB DOWN" ? I do not agree with your not-reasonable-solution. My indoor inverted stick up cam is not going to get wet. Rotating displays is so easy and common place I am embarrassed for Ring for not allowing it. I believe in providing the customer what they want, not force customers to accept poor excuses and bad service. The more Ring products I buy, the more I experience disappointment. I am seriously considering cutting my losses and go elsewhere.

30-05-2023 10:06:22

T
I have 3rd gen iPad Pro. When running the Ring "Neighbors" app, it will not rotate to landscape mode like every other app in the world. This makes the app essentially useless fo me since I always interact with my iPad in landscape using the Smart Keyboard. This shouldn't be such a difficult thing for your UX developers to do. Let's get that done, eh?

26-07-2020 08:50:50

A
When viewing events in the history, why do we not have the option to have the video play in portrait with the list remaining below it? Right now the list is portrait but as soon as we click an item, it goes to landscape and then you have to keep switching back and forth. It should automatically play above the list in portrait mode. And during playback if you rotate the phone then it can go to full screen video mode. That makes much more sense as it makes going through a list easier.

29-07-2020 10:19:40

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User