Ring Solar Charger experiences: anybody have one that actually seems to be working?

When I first got it, installed properly, but claimed it didn’t have a solar charger connected and kept prompting me to buy one. After several days, it magically started working. I think.

Now today, high noon in AZ, 90 degrees out, not a cloud in the sky:
“…sunlight is too weak to charge this device.”

Really??

Hey @rtbarry! Having the solar status appear in your Ring app device health is a great sign that there is still a charge coming from it and being registered. Although this is indicating there is not enough sunlight, this message should not last long especially in the direct sun as your picture shows.

While the message mentions sunlight, other factors might be impacting the Solar Charger such as temperature, wifi signal interference, number of daily events, number/ length of live views, and even any debris on the Solar Charger panels. Of course, temperature can be ruled out if it is 90 degrees. Check out our Community post about battery drain for tips on optimizing solar charging, then monitor battery and solar status for improvements. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I am getting the same message here. I’m in Florida, and as you can see from the attached picture, in direct sun. The solar charger has been installed and working correctly for about a month. Yesterday I noticed the weak sunlight message for the first time and it is there again today. Outside temperature is 75 with no clouds in sight. Going to call Ring. Will let you know if I find anything out.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding. Absolutely everything else about the doorbell is working perfectly. I keep the unit clean, and it’s in the sun all day - every sunny AZ day.

As of today, the Ring app is telling me I don’t even have a solar charger connected, and suggests that I buy one. Sheesh.

Thanks! Yes, please let me know what they say.

Mine just switched from “not enough sunlight” to “no charger connected. buy one.”

Anybody get a fix? I’m getting this now as well. Even in direct sunlight. It worked great for about a month.

I am now on my second solar charger for my Ring 2. I am trying a second time tomorrow. I only get Not Connected and no charging. Been on calls with tech support too. This is taking up too of my time. If it doesnt work by tomorrow i am going with ADT. Been very patient with Ring. Hoped to expand with other devices but their products just not working very well.

I am getting the same message - south facing door with direct sun in California mid-60s with clear blue skys. Ring Doorbell 2 with Solar Charger.

‘Ring Solar Charger is connected but sunlight is too weak to charge the device.’

With reference to Marley_Ring’s post above the battery is steadily draining - so I don’t think its even getting much if any charge from it.

Anyone find a solution.