Ring Outdoor Siren Charging

Hello, I just received my Ring Outdoor Siren and was wondering if a wired Plug-In adapter will charge a quick release battery pack? The instruction only mention charging is accomplished when paired with a Solar Panel. Thanks.

Bruce: according to Ring online assistant, hard wiring the siren will charge the battery. Why they can’t make the instructions clear is beyond me. BTW in case you weren’t aware (and given the instructions that’s easy to miss) if you fit the battery pack the dusk to dawn feature will work, but that still leaves you to recharge the battery when it indicates low power. I have no idea how long the battery will last using that feature. Personally i am hard wiring mine and trust that Ring haven’t given me BS.
Hope this helps.

Hi neighbors. We have this Help Center article here that has some great information on the power options available for the Outdoor Siren. I hope this information is helpful.

1 Like

hi hello i have just purchased the ring outdoor siren from amazon with the second gen power adaptor my question is - if i place in the chargeable battery pack ( fully charged) and hard wire in the unit am i correct in assuming that the siren runs off the main power source ( hard wire) in the case of mains loss the battery pack will take over ??? for however long loss of power remains, does the hard wire in trickle charge the battery pack??? and remove the three duracell d batteries so in effect you would never need to remove the siren at all to charge the battery pack separately ??? i cannot imagine it trickle charging the duracell batteries as they would most probably blow!!! so do i just put in the ring battery pack hard wire in, then install and forget it as it will look after itself??? many thanks for any clarification

Hi @kevin-plymouth. As explained in the Help Center article provided above, “You must add the Quick Release Battery Pack to use the Solar Panel, or optionally can be added when hardwired to cover all eventualities. Both options will keep the Battery Pack charged. When you add an additional power source, Outdoor Siren will use this for power, and keep the D Batteries as a backup power source.”. I hope this information helps.

I have a solar panel connected to my outdoor siren, the question is how do you know if this is working?

The battery level hasn’t visibly dropped and the ‘power charging’ Icon in device settings doesn’t light up. After two weeks of using the dawn until dusk led and testing the siren and alarm LEDs a few times I was hoping to see something to assure me the solar panel is working.

Is this Icon only for detecting the hardwired voltage, if so how am I supposed to know if the battery is being charged by the solar panel?

UPDATE: May 19th
To answer my own question, after 12 days using the dawn till dusk led on the outdoor siren could see a drop in battery pack charge. By just having a solar charger inside, looking through double glazing on mostly cloudy days, the battery pack Icon changed to charging. Under events I saw entries showing the power level was falling, then the battery pack was being charged, then it would be full. The process would then repeat…

So, I’m really pleased that just pointing west through glass on mostly cloudy days in middle England the full charge level is soon maintained. Obviously, the winter months might be more challenging, however, we typically get a bit of sun within a week or two - so I’m hopeful. The panel will now be fitted outside quite high up and facing south… will update this over time.

1 Like

Hi @ADT-WJT. Thanks for the update! I’m glad to hear that this is working out for you!

Good evening.

Just wanted to share my experience in the UK. I installed the Ring siren with all three power sources connected. First the default D batteries, then a fully charged battery pack (without solar panel), and finally hardwired using a Ring plug-in adapter. First learning point was make sure there is no tension on the plug-in adapter when installing the cable brackets, otherwise it fails to register on the app as successfully hard wired. Initially, all three sources green and active on the app. Checked again after 6 months (now winter and cold), and D Batteries fully charged still, hardwire connection good, but battery pack fully discharged and NOT being kept charged by the hardwire connection.

Will only get the ladder out in the Summer time, as hardwire option still working and dusk till dawn light remains active. A pity the only way to keep the battery pack charged seems to be the solar panel. Wonder if a firmware update can fix, to save me the hassle of changing and charging in the Summer? In all other respects, love the siren and the whole Ring ecosystem.