Ring Intercom setup unsuccessful (SKS HT4600)

Is it worth asking your residents association/managing agent to enquire with whoever maintains your intercom system, to determine if that is how the intercom system has been configured (to unlock only after a call)?

Assuming it is a configuration of the system, then perhaps with gentle persuasion they might consider configuring it so that the door can be unlocked without the initial call.

If no such configuration is possible, then I would probably class your intercom system as “not compatible”, and Ring should do the same, because the “remote unlock” feature is really the key selling point of the device.

Yes it is a major selling point. Remote unlock, Amazon delivery unlock and Alexa integration. The only thing I can do is unlock via app after all call. (I don’t have to lift the handset in this instance!?)
I’ll keep an eye on this forum and some have had some luck reconfiguring wires (in some instances the instructions for installation were incorrect) so there might be some hope.
I will ask the housing association but I very much doubt they will do anything, going by past relations.
It’s early days if enough people have an issue ring themselves might come up with a fix (firmware maybe)
All in all it has the potential to be a good system, but their compatibility checker needs some attention. I’d suggest they should breakdown what might work and will work so we can make a more informed choice. I wouldn’t want a system where if nothing but 100% works it’s deemed incompatible. Some might just be happy with say the feature I have. But more information is definitely required.
Also too I would be helpful to know the specifications to get the system to work, does it require only an off hook door opening capability? For remote unlock, what are the minimum requirements?
Some details would be helpful.

Thanks and regards

David

I wonder if the real solution to this should’ve been a replacement handset instead of this extra box. With their own handset they could’ve done things like simulate lifting the receiver and it would’ve been a much cleaner finished product.

Thinking about this though, I have just realised. This morning when I answered the door. I did it via the app, In that the call came through and via the app I opened the door using the open door button on the screen.
Yes it won’t work without a call being first initiated, but I did not have to lift the handset?
It cannot be far off working as it can do this.

Thoughts??

David.

I think Ring has identified systems that require a call first to be able to unlock vs those that don’t require a call to unlock. For the latter, the unlock button is present but not for the former.

I think you are correct, but in that case Ring should flag such systems or handsets as having degraded or reduced functionality within the Compatibility Checker.

Another thing, Amazon Auto-Verify isn’t going to work very well if the person delivering the package has to call the flat that has the Ring Intercom installed, as this may not be the same flat where the package is being delivered (confirmed here).

So presumably - hopefully! - Auto-Verify is disabled completely in the app (and cannot be enabled) because of this “call first” remote unlock limitation.

@AdminMbl if you system worked once and you reset, it should definitely be able to work again. You would need to go through all the steps of correct make/model selection and learning/testing like you must have done before.

Regarding the lack of open button, I am pretty certain that Ring has identified systems that require call to unlock and they don’t show the unlock button in the app for those. If you don’t have this case then it is possible that they have incorrectly identified your system. You should call customer support and tell them that you don’t need call to unlock your door and they should enable the option that allows unlock button to show up in your app.

Just my guess, but I think for a lot of the systems they are learning the signals between the handset and door panel. If the handset is completely out of the picture they may not be able to figure out these signals themselves

@DaveGG
Ring Support solved the problem with the button. Without a reset, it is now available.
Concerning the audio issue I am im contact with them. I did everything again and again, even the wiring (which is anyway 2 wires digital). I could not come back to a working system. Pretty sure this is also a software related issue.

I just installed my intercom yesterday on my Videx 3171B.

Installation process was fine, test worked and everything.
Afterwards i had my girlfriend use the intercom from the street, and i could talk and open from the app.

Then 2 hours later, when we had visitors, the system didnt work. I didnt get any notification from the ring app, that someone was calling. So i couldnt open.

Tried removing device, and install from the beginning. Again installation works fine. But now no calls go through to the app. However i can see missed calls in the app.

But they never show up when the intercom is ringing, so i cant answer them…

Anyone experienced something similiar? Really strange that i the installation process is fine, and it worked one time - and now nothing works. I have tried reinstalling 5 times now…

Can I confirm with you that your Videx 3171 intercom system has the door open button within the app?
On mine it is missing, we have virtually the same intercom bar a different end letter (mine is P yours B)
Everything works fine on mine, except the lack of an open door button.

I used wires set up b.

David

Android or iOS? I find that receiving notifications on an Android (10) phone can be very hit & miss… they usually do arrive, but sometimes they may arrive 20 or 30 minutes later than when they would have been useful. Other times, they’ll be instant. Very rarely with Ring Intercom has a notification never arrived (just once, so far).

The problem is, the Android notification system just isn’t sufficiently reliable for real-time notifications (maybe it’s better with more recent versions of Android, or with Google/Samsung devices - my phone is a cheaper Chinese Blackview BV9900Pro).

The problems I’ve seen with notifications aren’t limited to the Ring app, other apps have similar issues too - I think maybe the Android notification system is just a bit cra… sub-optimal.

Just had a visitor (my brother).

I was inside my flat with my phone on WiFi. My brother pressed the CALL button, I instantly heard the handset “buzz” (as you’d expect) and simultaneously my Alexa Echo Dot 4 did its “someone at the Front Entrance” announcement/alarm.

I looked at my phone, and waited for the Android notification. Nothing. I unlocked the phone, and waited. Still nothing. I opened the Ring app, and waited a bit more. No notification whatsoever.

Eventually, as it was now a good 25-30 seconds since he pushed the button, I spoke via Alexa to my brother who was now a bit annoyed at me taking so long to answer. I used Alexa to unlock the door, and received the “door unlocked” notification on my phone immediately.

5 minutes after he was inside my flat, the Android notification arrived on my phone telling me “someone is at the Front Entrance - Talk/Unlock”. :frowning_face:

So… yeah… the notifications certainly need some work… but this could also be an Android OS issue. :man_shrugging:

And now I’ve just had an Amazon delivery, and the “someone is at the door” phone notification arrived on time/worked perfectly. It’s a bit random! :man_shrugging:

It’s time for an update!

Today, I was finally able to complete the setup of Ring Intercom.
As I had already suspected, it was probably not an issue related to my specific intercom system (SKS in my case).

What did I do?
I had reset the device once again, ran through all the setup steps (didn’t adjust any of the wiring, as I was confident from the start, that this is not the issue).
This time though, I decided to add it to my Guest WiFi network. Once again, during the setup, the Ring Intercom device installed a firmware update (I’m starting to doubt that it actually installs a new firmware when this is being shown, as I’ve seen this 2-3 times now while resetting the device).
This time, I was able to perform the setup test successfully. I went downstairs, rang the doorbell to my apartment, confirmed in the Ring app aaaaand the ring app detected it, played the test tone, triggered the buzzer and it’s all working now.

Not really sure why it worked this time and only with the guest WiFi network. I do have a MAC address filter active on my main WiFi, but I turned that off for the time I was setting up the Ring Intercom device. And it did show up as an active WiFi device all the time, so I doubt it’s related.
Both networks have 2.4 GHz & 5.0 GHz WiFi enabled as well.

After setting it up with the other network, I was able to change to my main WiFi through the device settings without a problem, and it continues to work!

@stoplis This might be useful information for you, as I had understood, you were seeing the same “Hmm, something went wrong.” screen too.

I have yet to test it in real life, I was just verifying quickly that I can hear and talk through the Ring App by myself.

What I don’t like so far / observations:

• “Unlock Door” button does not show up
    • Yes, I do have a BUS-based system that dictates that someone has to ring the doorbell before one can trigger the buzzer. But still, there might be cases where someone rings the bell, I go to the Ring App and would just like to press that button, without having to go to the call screen. From what I read above, this is supposedly something the Ring Support can enable, I’ll see if that’s true.
      Update on the statement above: This doesn’t seem to be true. Talked to the Ring support and they consulted with their supervisor, there’s no way to enable this button from their side for devices that have been classified to not support this. :frowning:
      @AdminMbl not sure how they made it work for you.
  • One time Ring Intercom didn’t detect that someone pressed the doorbell button. No notification, nothing in the activity/history log.
    • I will be observing whether this was a one-time failure or not.
  • The feature set is very slim (I was aware of this beforehand, of course)
    • I do have another competing device up and running that allows to:
    • Surpress the doorbell sound / chime of my intercom system (when someone is ringing in general or at scheduled times)
    • Set schedules during which you just need to ring your doorbell to be buzzed in instantly
    • Set geofences - when you’re in that area, you can ring your doorbell and be buzzed in instantly
    • Set more fine-grained access control (who can do what)
  • The ability to take calls, speak with who is at the door from anywhere, however, is Ring Intercom’s “killer feature” - everything of the abovementioned could definitely still be added later on, I hope the Ring team will actually work on that.

Thanks for the update. I just tried it on my guest network but I got the same results, I’m still getting the same error. I appreciate the suggestion and I’m glad yours is up and working.

Yes, I do have a BUS-based system that dictates that someone has to ring the doorbell before one can trigger the buzzer. But still, there might be cases where someone rings the bell, I go to the Ring App and would just like to press that button, without having to go to the call screen. From what I read above, this is supposedly something the Ring Support can enable, I’ll see if that’s true.

With call screen you can still do a direct unlock without having to pick up. I think even the notification has an unlock button showing up which you can directly use? Or is that not the case on your app?

Hey Neighbors. For support regarding your Ring Intercom, we have this Help Center article here. If you have any question, feel free to reach out via Email or Phone. Thanks, Neighbors!

Hello Guys,

i also have the SKS 4600/1 (which this thread is actually about, right?! :wink: )
i connected everything and started the test. i was able to hear a sound from the intercom. but it was not able to open the door. after that i checked cables again, reseted, changed the battery and now (even i did not changed any wiring) i am not able do hear the sound anymore. it just tells me connection problem like most of you also have.
contacted the ring support, they are on it. for me it seems to be a software bug, and nothing related to the wiring as it does not even start the testing.

@smarthomer
Ring support can definitely enable the button. They asked me if my intercom can open without picking up. I confirmed & without reset only by closing the app the button was there.
Funny thing: as I have the issue that I am not hearable, a did a reset and added the device again.
Outcome: no button (again)
not hearable (still)

I am in contact with support. Still devasted.