[Ring Floodlight] Turn on floodlights at night when motion is detected by camera (not by PIR)

Hi,

I purchased the Ring Floodlight.

Feature Request: I would like to be able to have the lights turn on at night and when motion is detected by the camera (not by the PIR sensor). This does not seem to be possible, currently.

Current, Similar, Features: I can use the ‘Linked Devices’ feature to turn my Ring Floodlight’s lights on when the doorbell rings. Moreover, I can have my smart lights turn on when the Ring Floodlight detects motion. Therefore, there is some level of software that allows for this type of process to work, but is not currently implemented.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional clarification.

Thank you.

I agree. In bad weather I get many false detections with the PIR so that my floodlights are on almost constantly. I would like to use the camera motion detection instead which doesn’t suffer so many false alerts.

Using linked devices I can turn on my floodlights when my spotlight cam detects motion, and vice versa, but not when the floodlight cam detects. So the software is virtually done, it just needs to act on the camera’s own lights.

1 Like

Please allow to activate the floodlight lights when motion is detected by the camera, not only by the PIR

1 Like

I second this!! I recently got a floodlight camera installed and it is totally worthless because of the lack of control over the light activation. I’ve had no choice but to turn the light setting off completely.

1 Like

I agree. My lights are worthless because they never come on at night, but the camera motion detection comes on all the time. I do not understand any logic in having the camera not enabling lights when motion is detected at night.

1 Like

I agree!!! My lights turn on and off all night because of bugs flying around but my camera doesn’t record anything when that is happening.

1 Like

Ring - please differentiate from :slight_smile:

“IR Motion” vs. “Video Motion”

Will the lights on my Floodlight Cam turn on every time it detects motion?
Yes, the Floodlight Cam lights will turn on for all events, assuming it is dark enough outside.

This question makes it seem like all “motion” turns on the lights. Ring should say “IR Motion” will turn on the lights. “Camera Motion” is for alerts and has nothing to do with lights (we just paired 2 different devices into 1 but didn’t merge them)… even though the app does know the lights are on AND the app can turn lights on when it detects “video motion”.

Will my camera always activate when the floodlights are triggered by motion?
No. The floodlights on your Floodlight Cam are operated by passive infrared heat detection and have a radius of 270 degrees. The camera unit on your Floodlight Cam notifies you of movement within the camera’s field of view and has a range of 140 degrees. As a result, there will be times where something outside the range of the camera activates the lights.

So video motion does NOT turn on the lights?

1 Like

Desperately need this feature. My ring floodlight is mounted under the eave of my house next to the back door and something has the light coming on constantly at night, but no motion events. I only want the light to come on when motion is detected, it blows my mind that isn’t possible. We have to keep the light off and manually turn it on when letting the dog out, because we don’t want to upset our neighbors with the light turning on and off all night.

1 Like

This is the only way I want my lights to come on. Rain had these lights going on and off all night.

Camera detected motion and ability to control the light independently in Alexa and Smartthings

Come on ring are you going to start to listen to your customers??? We need this sorted out we only want to lights to come on when passive infrared heat is detected :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

I agree this feature needs to be added!