Ring Doorbell Pro stuck in firmware update

I’ve had my Ring DoorBell Pro installed now for 5 years now and it’s been pretty faultless in that time. It’s hardwired with the Ring transformer & bypass kit, and its been great.

This weekend, the doorbell stopped recording video around 3am on saturday - seemingly to install a firmware update - and since then, has not reconnected to my wifi.

The lights on the doorbell show it’s in firmware update mode (pulsing white light), and every 5-10 minutes or so it will restart itself, but always goes back to the firmware update mode setup. It will not go into setup mode.

Things I have tried include:

Hard reset (hold down until you get the flashing lights, wait a bit longer and release)
Setup mode
new setup on the app, new install of app, removing from account & re-adding etc
network reset & router reboot
Completely turning off the power to my house, waiting 2 min and then booting it up again.
disconnecting the doorbell physically and re-installing to the wall

Whatever i do, it refuses to enter setup mode and stays in firmware update mode.

I have tried ring support and currently waiting for a supervisor, but after going through the above with them, all they want to do is offer me a meaningless 30% discount off a new device…for a software problem that THEY caused.

Any suggestions where to go from here/ I’m getting ready to submit a small claims court case against them if they don’t help further - this is clearly not a hardware fault or a warranty issue - its fairly obvious that it tried to update its firmware and has gotten stuck. This is not a hardware issue and is totally nonsensical for them to suggest it is!

I will gladly take them to court over this if its needed to prove the point if nothing else - companies cannot remotely brick our devices and then expect us to pay for a new one, its a little ridiculous :slight_smile:

Id rather fix this one though if at all possible, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So here is a happy update!

The supervisor called me back and agreed this was ring’s issue, and has processed a replacement :slight_smile:
So for everyone else with the same issue - persevere and you should get a replacement!

1 Like

Hi @Spud211. I’m glad to hear our support team and the supervisor was able to help resolve this with a replacement! Feel free to mark your last response as a solution if you’d like by checking the Solution box with a checkmark. If you have any further questions or concerns once you receive your replacement, definitely follow up with our support team so they can make sure it’s taken care of. :slight_smile:

My first pro did that after a few weeks of use and ring said take it back for a replacement.
The second pro ran for a few months and then did the same thing.
I dumped it in its box and replaced it with the cheap wired model. Two months later; I got the pro out to check before giving ring a call but was shocked to find it started working.
It did two updates after setting up as a new doorbell and it’s still working.

Hi @paulliewallie. I’m glad to hear your Doorbell Pro is working properly now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im having the same problem mring device stuck on installing update been waiting 2 days now and have tried everything suggested

1 Like

Hi @user13655. Try connecting your Ring Device to a WiFi hotspot to see if that will allow you to finish the firmware update. Once the update is complete, you can change your WiFi network. Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

A few weeks after posting my findings, the Pro had cut out again. This time it worked like a doorbell but minus the wifi. I tried to reconnect wifi through the app and factory reset. After a reboot, it would get to pulsing white light and reboot.
After a few days being switched off and setup as a new doorbell followed by an update, it would work for a few hours then the wifi would cut off.

Also it seems that if you have motion detection turned off, the Pro will run for days. But if you leave live view running on a device, it will eventually bug the Pro.

The cheaper wired model has outperformed the pro model. I have had no problems with the wired model.

I want to get rid of the Pro now.

1 Like

@paulliewallie I’d suggest following up with our support team so they can properly address all of the concerns you have with your Doorbell Pro. They will run through all applicable troubleshooting with you to narrow down the cause of your concerns and determine the best resolution. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I had the same problem today and went through all the steps- for several hours. customer service gave me 35% off a new device. Very disappointed as I don’t really want to buy a new doorbell pro even if it’s discounted. Mine was out of warranty as well and due to it being stuck in firmware update they said the device is broken. I asked them will this happen every 2.75 years and she could not confirm, that’s why they only have a one year warranty. Wish a supervisor would offer me a replacement as this has nothing to do with my setup and completely due to their software update-

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Doorbell firmware not updating