Ring doorbell hardwired suddenly experiencing low battery daily

Exactly how many of us need to report the same problem before Ring Tech support acknowledges they introduced a bug in their latest upgrade? I am looking at other products to replace all of my ring products. Seriously Ring, you used to have great tech support but not any more. And Marley_Ring stop posting useless suggestions and acknowledge that there is a system problem and fix it!

4 Likes

I’ve the same issue, how long has this been going on

1 Like

Battery concerns are often due to usage or cold temperature. Here are a few Help Center articles that can help with this:

The most popular reasons for battery drain is due to many motion events, frequent or lengthy live views, or poor WiFi signal. Feel free to also check out this Hardwiring Checklist for tips on hardwiring battery-powered Video Doorbells.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hi,
i have same issue with my hardwired ring doorbell 2.
it happend not charging in May or June and it is already July, hot . the power source in app says “hardwired” with lighning icon on battery icon. I even pull out the battery to recharge using usb and it is charging.
So I guess ring firmware screwed it up ,not able to recharge battery when it is hardwired.
it was charhing the hardwired doorbell for past 2 yrs with no issues and all of the sudden battery becomes so low.
Pls RING fix the issue.

3 Likes

Hi @along73. If the troubleshooting resources that Marley provided above aren’t helpful in resolving your concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for more in-depth assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

So why are you selling a device that doesn’t work in cold weather to people who live in cold weather environments?
Something like this should have been mitigated before it was released to the general market. You might have wanted to consider an insulation material around the battery? It’s currently -14C in Winnipeg and the device is showing critically low battery. It’s going to get a lot colder than that in the coming weeks and months. It won’t be working at all by the time it gets to -40C.
The only part of the device that needs to be outside is the button and the camera. The battery should be on the inside wall with wires connecting to the camera and the button on the outside of the same wall.
Problem solving 101.

2 Likes

Hi,
Me and som friends of mine, have the same issue. Both doorbell is hardwired, and it shows hardwired, and the icon shows that it is charging but the battery is low. It will not charge at all. Never had this problem before.

It has been -15c the last days, but we never had this problem before in the cold. I think something happen after last firmware update ?

1 Like

Hi @AndersK. Hardwiring a battery powered Doorbell does not change that the Doorbell is still powered from the battery. Hardwiring it will provide a trickle charge to the battery each day to help keep it charged longer, depending on different factors. Extremely cold weather has unfortunate effects on lithium-ion batteries, like the ones that are used in Ring devices. The following are key temperatures to watch out for in regards to your batteries:

• 36°F (3°C): The battery may not hold a charge as effectively, resulting in you having to charge the unit more frequently.
  • 32°F (0°C): The battery may not charge at all. Even hardwired configurations may not charge the battery.
  • -5°F (-20.5°C): The battery may stop working completely until temperatures warm up.

At a temperature of -15°C, which is 5°F, the battery may not be able to receive a trickle charge from the hardwiring configuration due to the extreme weather. In this case, you will likely need to manually charge the battery using the provided charging cable plugged into a standard power outlet inside until the weather warms up again.

1 Like

Hi, this can not be right. I have had this doorbell for years. And never had this problem.
Last year it was - 20. And i had not have eny problem then. So somthing has change after last frimwareupdate. Now it is +1 and it is stil not charging… And the same has happend to my friends that has the same dorrbell… Fiks the problem…

4 Likes

Hi @AndersK. After prolonged periods of time in extremely cold environments, battery life can be greatly reduced. This is not uncommon and is an expected behavior for all battery powered devices in extreme cold.

My doorbell stopped charging and i checked my wiring and there’s consistent voltage at the bell but when i remove the battery and put it to charge it charges very well.As someone said Ring has put a bug on the system which i believe.A friend of mine start having problems the moment he hardwire his bell.It is obvious Ring wants customers to buy lots of batteries.Please fix the glitch on the system i used to work in the cable industry and whenever a customer fail to pay their bill the company sends a program that disables all equipment.i wonder if ring is doing the same thing because they want us to buy more batteries

2 Likes

I have my ring doorbell hardwired and the battery goes dead even in warm weather in Dallas Texas. There is definitely something wrong with the battery charging firmware or the batteries are simply not very good. I bought a brand new battery and it didn’t last as long as the first. I now have to keep one charged externally and ready to replace to one that goes dead even though it’s being supposedly trickle charged. I would advise putting in a freshly charged battery every time you happen to go out of town.
Ring’s “solved” answers are not really solved.

3 Likes

Its poor design if the hard wired power wont keep the device topped up regardless of the number of events
My 1st generation never had this issue but had to throw out a perfectly good unit because the battery cant be changed.
I have the recomended power supply, replaced the battery, latest firmware, good connections. Good wifi reset unit. Tricklecharge with no lives and movement turned off its lucky to charge 3% a day. Come on ring you need to address this issue properly. You wouldnt design a petrol car where you have to take the battery out and charge it once a week! In my opinion Ring broke the charging with a software update a while back?

3 Likes

They are trying to get people to upgrade instead of fixing the bug they caused. I’m filling a complaint with BBB over this. Very shady…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.