Ring doesn't work with VPN

I may aswell express my annoyance at this too.

I have alwasy run VPN, Ring told me about 4-5 years ago when i installed the original doorbell that VPN wasn’t an issue and with app updates it now seems to be.

VPN only blocks access if Ring have decided they want to block access. They do this because they want to know where you are for their own data needs. A VPN stops them doing that.

Its a mjor privacy issue for me but also what if you are working from home and have to use a VPN to work. VPN’s are becoming an essential security tool and often now sewn into hardware routers, out of your control.

I have spent £1000’s on Ring products, only to have a really badly functioning service now. I really should be able to claim my money back for all the devices that are now not functioning as they should.

I would urge RIng to re-think blocking VPN. Can we have a senior manager’s statement on why you block it, and if you will remove it very soon?

3 Likes

It’s a rubbish policy . I’m thinking of dumping my Ring

3 Likes

Hi there, neighbors. Due to the technical issues that VPNs can cause, and to maintain reliable performance and a seamless experience for our customers, we no longer support the use of VPNs. Also, our security systems block IP addresses used to exploit or attack our systems and occasionally VPN IP addresses fall into that category.

Ring values the trust our neighbors place in us and we are committed to the highest level of customer information and data security. As we continually work to make our devices and services more useful and secure for our users, we are actively developing new security features and capabilities. Feel free to check out our help center article about the Ring app and VPNs.

Replying to the admin above me.

Your new policy is terrible. I’ve had the ring alarm system for about a year and a half, and never had an issue until I installed my ring doorbell this morning. Now you’re telling me I need to be on an unsecured connection to utilize your services? You really need to rethink this. Your clients get an alarm system for security purposes, the exact reason people get an alarm system. At the moment, I’m going to return my doorbell and I’m most likely going to go to a competitor, and I’m fairly certain many other ring users are about to do the same.

3 Likes

Don’t understand why you would want to have Ring going through a VPN tbh? It’s just going to introduce more latency. This is more than likely the reason Ring has chosen to block it, running through a VPN is just not a good idea for a service that relies on quick notifications.

Also don’t understand how having Ring would stop you from logging in to a Workplace VPN?

I run 4 VPN Clients and 1 VPN Server without issues. And certainly no issues that are connected to Ring. The 2 are completely unrelated.

Just had Ring start blocking Nord in Canada for me. Will definitely be dumping them if they don’t fix it by then.

Cause most of the time you can’t split tunnel. Thus why many people need everything to work with their VPN.

1 Like

I whole heartedly agree!!! It makes no sense to me why Ring would want to prevent their products from working with a VPN. I use express VPN and my recently purchased Stick up Cam (3rd generation) cannot use live view unless I turn the VPN off. Yet all the other features in the app such as snapshots work just fine with the VPN on. What sense does this make??? I also just recently bought a another fairly new product , the Floodlight Cam Pro Wired, and the live view on this has no problems working with a VPN. Also older ring devices like the video doorbell 2nd gen are fully compatible with a VPN. Does anyone have an explanation as to why RING is making an issue with this new VPN policy? What is the security risk to them of someone using a VPN? So many people use a VPN nowadays this has got to ultimately hurt their bottom line! Right now it has deterred me from buying future products with them!

2 Likes

Can anyone recommend a reliable security system. I had ring for a month. It is a joke. I have to get rid of this.

So I have also installed ring devices and until the most recent update, I suffered no issues. Now it’s a problem. I also use Express VPN for personnel and work related security. My job as a consultant for radio and tv clients requires my using a vpn for my privacy and theirs. I am occasionally asked for my opinions on a wide range of subjects concerning celebrity and personal security on air. In my opinion Ring has violated the perceived trust between a security vendor and its clients. Shame.

In the same boat,I will not be extending my ring devices now I know its not working with a vpn, I was looking to spend hundreds of pounds this year on expanding my home security with ring, not now.

I’ll be taking my business to another company that adopts a higher level of cyber security and adopts cyber best practices.

Web cams are commonly abused via cyber attacks and weakening that protection by not allowing their customers to obfuscate their IP by setting up a tunnel to another trusted source is just short sighted.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.