Release Note: This feature is currently slow rolling, we appreciate your patience while we work to get it to all our neighbors!
Rich Notifications make it easier to see quickly what caused an event in front of your Ring Video Doorbell or Cam. When this feature is turned on, a snapshot image will be included in the push notification from your Ring app event. The small snapshot image will show what caused the event, giving you a quick preview without even having to open the app! Learn more in the details below about how to turn this feature on and how it will work.
Note: This feature requires a Ring Protect subscription for your device. If you don’t have one currently, check out this Ring Protect Plan page for more information.
How Rich Notifications Work for Events
- Video Doorbell Press Notifications - A snapshot image taken during the next few seconds after the Doorbell button was pressed will be included in the push notification.
- Motion Event Notifications - A snapshot image from the motion detection event will be included with the motion event push notification.
- Note: If you are quick to answer your event, there is a chance you may see a notification update with a snapshot image for that same event. Turning on People Only Mode for your device would help you avoid this.
Turning On Rich Notifications in Your Ring App
- Open the main menu in your Ring mobile app in the top left corner.
- Select Devices and choose which Doorbell or Cam you would like to update this feature on.
- In your device settings select Rich Notifications and toggle the feature On or Off.
How to Enlarge the Photo in your Rich Notifications
When you receive a Rich Notification you will see a small image, this is the snapshot of the event. You can enlarge this directly from the push notification. The steps for this will be different depending on what type of phone you have, learn more about how this will work for your phone’s specific operating system below.
- iOS - Tap and hold the thumbnail to open up the full-frame snapshot.
- Android and FireOS - Drag down the thumbnail to open up the full-frame snapshot.
Smart Watches and Rich Notifications
If you have a smart watch, such as an Apple Watch, with your Ring app connected to it, these notifications may show as multiple alerts for the same event and may include Rich Notification snapshots. At this time, the Ring app does not directly support any official smart watch integrations. We will update the Community and in this post here if this changes.
Are you excited to use this feature? Let us know your feedback by replying to this post!