Ring 3 Pro Eating Battery power

I have a recently purchased Ring 3 Pro doorbell.

It is literally eating battery power at 10% per day. I have turned off all features like motion detection - the only feature remaining is the doorbell. I purchased a Chime pro and switch to the chime pro network - no difference. I have also purchased the solar charger fitting - again little difference. I have a mesh network to boost wifi, so I connected to that - RSSI at about -60 - again little difference.

A doorbell which can not even last a week on its batteries is ludicrous - what happens when we go away?

Can anyone advise if this is a known problem? I do not have a particularly large house, and I have tried everything I can to diagnose the problem.

Looking for help

Ron Holmes

Hi @rholmesa. I would recommend to contact our support team to help with this concern. There can be a few variables they need to investigate. Please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Weā€™re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times.

@rholmesa wrote:

I have a recently purchased Ring 3 Pro doorbell.

Hello @rholmesa ,

Iā€™m a little confused.

Did you purchase a Ring Video Doorbell 3?

Or a Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus?

Or a Ring Video Doorbell Pro?

They are different doorbell models. There is not a Ring Video Doorbell 3 Pro. My guess is itā€™s just a typo, and you really meant a Video Doorbell 3 Plus?

Iā€™m just a little confused and curious as to what your really purchased. :slight_smile:

OK - I have a Chime Pro, and a Video Doorbell 3 Plus. The naming is very confusing!!

I purchased a spare battery and ā€¦ it now seems fine. This battery is not dischanging as the other one (the original with the doorbell!) was.

So now my question is - who do I cantact to get a replacement battery for the faulty one? Do I have to contact support and wait in the ā€˜Covidā€™ queue, or can I just email?

Regards

@rholmesa wrote:

OK - I have a Chime Pro, and a Video Doorbell 3 Plus. The naming is very confusing!!

I purchased a spare battery and ā€¦ it now seems fine. This battery is not discharging as the other one (the original with the doorbell!) was.

So now my question is - who do I contact to get a replacement battery for the faulty one? Do I have to contact support and wait in the ā€˜Covidā€™ queue, or can I just email?

Regards

@rholmesa ,

Glad to hear that you solved the ā€˜eating-batteryā€™ issue. It does sounds like the original battery was just a bad faulty battery. Good thing you already had a spare ā€œQuick Release Battery Packā€!

Oh yeah, I agree the naming of Video doorbells can be very confusing. The worse confusion is between the older Ring Video Doorbell 2 and the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2. Some people mistakenly think they are the same model, and they are not.

The good news is that your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus does have a 1-year parts and lifetime theft protection warranty, so I would assume the Quick-Release-Battery-Pack is considered a ā€œpartā€ of the doorbell. But the bad news is, yeah unfortunately there is not an email address for you to inquire about a warranty replacement or refund issue. You are going to have to call and wait in the ā€˜Covidā€™ queue and call Ring Support:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope you phone wait is short! :slight_smile:

@rholmesa ,

I was able to do a little digging around, and I came across this information in an unrelated community post.

_ "Ring support team is available to assist you at anytime, **by chat** or **phone** , __[here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch)._

_ If you prefer email , we can be reached at Help@Ring.com. "_

I donā€™t know if using this email will be able to satisfy your inquiry about the parts/battery warranty replacement or refund issue.

I hope this email address of Help@Ring.com is a possible alternate way for you, to avoid the telephone 'Covid Queue" :slight_smile:

Hey neighbors! @Boone Thank you for sharing the applicable information regarding our warranty and for helping out @rholmesa. With that said, I did want to mention that our email support at help@ring.com is currently unavailable as part of our response to COVID-19, which you can read more about here. Rest assured our team is still available by phone here. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Caitlyn_Ring and @rholmesa,

Oooops . . . my bad . . . I didnā€™t remember . . . due to Covid the mail support at help@ring.com is currently unavailable.

:slight_smile:

OK

I will ring the help line.

I went away for a week having purchased a new battery, fully charged it and fitted the solar charger. With ONLY the doorbell (no motion detection at all) activate, which was never rung, the battery died after 4 days. It seemed to happen suddenly - it was at 100% for three days, then just failed on the fourth dropping rapidly. The RSSI remains around the -65 mark, whilst not ideal this should be manageable for more than three/four days.

I am disappointed.