Rename Downloaded Ring Videos to include timestamp

Downloaded video files are now in the following format:

6959647834931868609.mp4

I see there are ways to convert that gibberish name to an actual name like: RingVideo_20210403_124511.mp4

But, for those like myself who is not too smart, can you just do the conversion for us when we download videos (either when download one video at a time or several videos at a time) ?

Please, update so that when batch downloading video file, each file name is in a useful format.

Currently, when downloading individual video files, format of files is like:
Ring_Doorbell_20220501_1517.mp4
This is very useful because it includes timestamp and name of source camera/device.

But, when downloading multiple video files, each file name in the zipped file is in format like:
Ring_542981010_0036_7092436653154663781.mp4
Totally useless to a normal person.

1 Like

Right now files are saving not with the day / time the recording was taken but instead with the day / time it was downloaded which doesn’t pose any use. Seems like giving the user ability to select the file save name and folder would be simple settings. It would allow users to organize and find video files and snap shot / screenshot images much easier. Great for assisting police or just maintaining home and business surveillance for security and loss prevention.

1 Like

Bumping this - please see this Ring devs!

When I download a single event on ring it names the file as Ring_CameraName_DateofRecordedEvent_TimeofRecordedEvent. That’s excellent.

When I download multiple files at once it names each recorded event in a way I cannot decipher. So once I have downloaded a batch of files I then need to look at each one individually and rename them if I want to ever be able to readily identify them later. Alternatively, I need to download every recorded event one at a time, then Ring will auto name the file as described above.

This is horrible. I have to spend hours going through videos to see what I might want to keep, and do so one by one, which takes ages. Even with so many videos Ring still misses so many important events, I simply cannot risk lowering the settings. Yet, if I try to save some time and download in batches of 25, the only number that doesn’t seemed to crash the system even though Ring claims I could do 50 at once, when I try to view the events of a day it is a hunting nightmare. I download the batches using filters of date and camera, but I have to try picking random files to narrow down to a time frame if I am accessing the past records. Then I rename them as I go so I can try and keep track, but I am still left with dozens, if not hundreds, that remain named in a completely useless manner.

I have FrontPoint currently. I would like Ring to be at least as good as, if not better than, FrontPoint, at least when it comes to something as simple as downloading files. I can download an entire day’s worth of recordings at one time with FP, with every recording named individually with its camera name and time and date of recording itself, all in a fraction of the time it takes to download 25 recordings by one camera on one day with Ring who then labels it in a way completely useless to me.

I even try to help Ring along by doing the downloads in small batches of a single date from a single camera, and still Ring can’t seem to meet me anywhere close to halfway.

Ring needs to do better.

Edit: try as I might Ring refuses to let me apply actually appropriate tags. Thanks for your continued helpfulness Ring.

I would like to request that downloaded videos get the start time of their video as the file name, as opposed to the time they were downloaded

If anyone’s still looking to do this, you can use this app called PhotoRex to convert the file names to timestamps.

My files converted correctly so at least I can confirm the “gibberish file names” are meaningful (not just random numbers)