Remove Advertising/Marketing from Ring Apps

There is no excuse whatsoever for including ANY marketing and/or advertisements in Ring apps. It’s very disrespectful to customers. (It also serves as an instant reminder to customers of how badly they have been treated by Ring and its parent company.)

Thus, Ring should immediately eliminate the following content from Ring apps:

• Discover section on the Dashboard
  • What’s New menu choice
  • Shop Deals menu choice

Ring should also eliminate ALL use of menu “badges” as Ring tends to utilize them in an exploitative, anti-consumer manner.

+1 Ring should allow you to disable adverts
I do NOT wish to know about prime day when im managing my home security.

Ring…?

6 Likes

For paid users, we should be able to disable in-app promotions and have a clean UI.

7 Likes

Agreed 100%!

And now they are making you sign into your Amazon account (and assuming you have one) before you can get rid of the red “whats new” alert for Amazon packaging

This is absurd. I went through and viewd everything just to get rid of the alerts only to have one left because i refuse to tie my Amazon account to Ring

Please remove adds!!

6 Likes

Dagon -

Wow… I certainly hope you are incorrect, as it would seemingly be a very unethical thing for Ring (and/or its parent company) to do.

Of course, I won’t be able to verify your observation, as I refuse to click on marketing/advertising in the Ring app – as it only encourages Ring (and/or its parent company) to keep treating customers badly (due to selfishness and greed).

3 Likes

+1 absolutely agree with you guys. This is incredible unethical and makes me see Ring/Amazon negatively. I should have been wiser not to choose Ring/Amazon in the.
first place… Returning hardware while I can…

3 Likes

Please remove the “Swipe to discover more” section from the home screen. Or at the very least, make it able to hide after it has been read (without popping up the next time you open the app).

This is really not wanted by many. You are shoving advertisements down the throat of paying customers, absolutely not gentlemen behavior. Without consent. This makes me absolutely look less more negative about the Ring and Amazon brands and from what I heard, I am not the only one.

Perhaps it was a mistake to put such trust into the Ring of Amazon brand, should I have gone with a different brand such as Google Nest or Eufy? Let me know please, I can still return the gear at this moment…

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, ring is going to go out of business with this marketing approach.

Just trying to sign in to this website to comment on your post was such a pain. I literally had to put my username and password multiple times followed by seven separate two factor verifications before I could get in and make a username.

Now to your original post.

Every day I get so many emails and notifications that I need to go look at advertisements over and over and over again digging deeper and deeper and deeper to try and figure out where the notifications are coming from, only to have them pop up again hours later.

This reason alone will make me not return to their service, and look for a better alternative. They have waisted my time long enough.

I was so excited with how well ring products worked that I sold my entire family and friends on all of their units, and just like I brought them to ring, I will take them from ring to the a better company.

Bad decision ring, you should fire everyone on your marketing team. Harassment is not how you get people excited.

3 Likes

Nothing was ever done permanently on Ring’s side about the unwanted large advertising tiles on the Ring app?! That’s unacceptable and I for one am not okay with another emphasizing response from Ring. I want this escalated and we need the ability to remove your advertising from our PAID subscriptions! You can acknowledge the advertising tiles and swipe them away, but they return. They need to be removed permanently, especially if we are paying for a subscription or two.

The large “Discover” tile should be removed from the Ring app Dashboard immediately. This is simply no excuse for including any type of marketing/advertising in an app that controls security devices – let alone taking up valuable real estate on the main screen. This is a SECURITY app, not a shopping app.

Common sense dictates that the two categories of items that should appear on the Ring app Dashboard are ones that:

• Need to be accessed quickly in an emergency
  • Are accessed the most frequently

Obviously, neither the “Discover” tile (or the “Set Up a Device” link) qualify.

5 Likes

Agree JameAde. It is intrusive actions like this that turn me off of products and services. I am paying for a service and do not appreciate or respect companies contaminating my paid product with sales pitches.

Bye Bye RIng.

4 Likes

Please remove the “Swipe to discover more” section from the home screen. Or at the very least, make it able to hide after it has been read (without popping up the next time you open the app). This is really not wanted by many. You are shoving advertisements down the throat of paying customers, including ring protect subscribers. It’s a bad look for ring. I know many people want this ability and I hope it will be considered

3 Likes

This is so distracting… it’s just a bad user experience. I have three camera views, and this nonsense keeps showing up at the bottom.

Question for Ring: “Are people buying stuff from this section?” " Even after they have already bought products?"

4 Likes

The ads are annoying (to put it mildly). It feels like Amazon’s malign influence where they do a thing on Echo Shows, adding and re-adding Home Screen content you have explicitly turned off back on, over and over again. I’m done with it on Echo devices and it seems I need to rebuild a Ring alternative camera situation.

4 Likes

I opened up the Ring app this morning, and was instead bombarded with a movie poster. I don’t know if the app has been hacked, or if someone at Ring has genuinely gone bonkers. But please stop pushing irrelevant ads to your subscribers.

3 Likes

Yes. After spending $600 on equipment Ring Protection for all of it I am irritated every time I open the Ring App and see ads. Irritated.

2 Likes

I dislike paying to see ads. That whole area should be occupied by camera views. I was about to expand my system and add more cameras but now I’m looking at alternatives.

3 Likes

On top of the ads, Ring will now disable arm and disarm on the app unless you pay for the subscription.
This is the last straw. I’m no longer doing any addons to Ring starting on April.

2 Likes

I just installed the Ring alarm system and cameras today. Listen, the Ring app is so ugly and littered with ads. My question is why? I pay for this service. What is the thinking here, that if I’m annoyed every time I interact with your hideous UX I’ll spend more money? That makes no sense.

I’m considering returning everything just based on this nonsense. Amazon should be ashamed of themselves.

2 Likes

Ring portrays the Ring Community website as a peer-to-peer forum. If so, why is Ring forcing obnoxious ads on its members? Clearly, doing so is very disrespectful. (It also serves as an instant reminder of how badly Ring customers are treated by Ring and its parent company.)

As an example of truly obnoxious advertising, consider the annoying/intrusive ad for the “Ring Battery Doorbell Plus” that is displayed on every Ring Community screen. Ring forces you to click on the “x” in the upper right corner of this ad if you want the ad to temporarily disappear from the screen. Unfortunately, the ad will automatically reappear the next time you visit the Ring Community website.

This advertising technique is so offensive that one has to wonder if Ring Community members are being used as non-consenting guinea pigs for some type of anti-consumer behavioral study.

In any case, one has to hope that no Ring Community members were tricked into purchasing the product in the advertisement.

1 Like

I paid for the device, I am paying for monthly service…at least give me the option to remove all the extra junk. Like fantastic that you have a water valve, why is it cluttering the app when I don’t have one? Worse still are the ads and red notification dots. What a cheap/tacky experience. I’d also never recommend Ring to anyone because of how clunky it makes the app, just get a HomeKit camera.

2 Likes