Reconnect WiFi Remotely

I have bought Ring Stick Up Cams for my parents houses (they spend the winter and summer in different places). One of their cams got knocked off WiFi, and it says we can’t reconnect the WiFi unless we are standing WITH the device. This entirely defeats the purpose of using Ring products to protect your home when you are not home! We can’t get that cam back online until they return to that house. It’ll be MONTHS.

There are 2-factor authentication requirements for financial services and even for your app. There should be a way to connect a camera back to the WiFi without being home.
Their house is exposed. This is stupid.

2 Likes

This is definitely an existing issue. I hope it’s being worked on. Is there authentication failing when being implemented from the app?

1 Like

Any updates on this topic? I’m also wondering if this scenario could be covered:
I’m away from my property (visit 1x / month and it’s largely a summer vacation rental).
It has lost connection just as previous people have called out, and it will not reconnect without me doing so in person (device, wifi and my phone ring app), which really defeats the purpose.
If I were to invite someone trusted (a family member or friend) in the area to be a guest on my device, could they attempt to reconnect or does software require the owner (me) do the reconnect and in person?
There has to be a way around this - I’m guessing many others are in this boat.

3 Likes

Poor design. Device should continue reattempting wifi connection indefinitely – especially when its wired. Having to press a button when there are no changes, this is beyond poor design for a security device.

2 Likes

Does Ring respond to any of issues stipulated on this forum?

RING - please help out…… is there anything in the pipeline? Responding might stop people going elsewhere…

Thanks.

4 Likes

Yes, this is very annoying especially when the camera is mounted very high on a building. Getting someone with a huge ladder (longer than the 10ft one i own) to press a button is a huge inconvenience

2 Likes

This is what I’m dealing with now. This is so backward. Phones, computers, tvs, etc can be reconnected to wifi easily, I don’t understand why it’s so clunky with these cameras. It’ll be raining for the next few days. I either have to wait for the rain to end or get on a high ladder in the rain to press a button. Ridiculous.

1 Like

Same here, happens every time I leave town. What’s the point? I was able to get a partial refund for service because of this issue. I’d recommend talking to customer support (you might have to talk to a couple of people) and doing the same.

2 Likes

Bh:

A number of cheap solutions exist. Mind you I agree, this is poor programming on Ring’s part, but lets solve your problem first. I see two answers:

1. install a 120v wifi relay. Plenty of them around, most integrate w/Alexa. Just connect up the doorbell transformer and shut it down. That will so the same thing as a quick press of the side button.

2. Or install a 24V AC wifi relay. Likely at the home’s doorbell. Once again just cut the power to the ring for a few seconds to minutes.

Amazon has plenty of both.

Ring:

Come on now, that’'s not very good programming. Simple to fix. Crudely:

1. If “Wi-Fi Connect” = False
  2. If “Wi-Fi count-down” >60 minutes
  3. Reboot
  4. Endif
  5. Endif
1 Like

Need a app fix to reset cameras from a remote site. I left my home for 3 months. Two weeks after I left, two of my three cameras went down on an internet provider issue. After the internet issue was fixed, only one camera came back up. The other two require me to be on site to restart them. I have the unit code numbers with me but beyond that, I can’t push the reset button as instructed, because again, I am not onsite. I cannot tell if the white light is rotating, because I am not onsite.

I did not like having these cameras down and may have to search for a system that gives me remote access to my cameras.

3 Likes

We really need the ability to reset our WiFi remotely. Our second home is remote and far from us and the cameras are mounted up hi……when the internet goes out sometimes it is a WiFi issue and when the WiFi changes or is changed because router has issues it would be super convenient and easy to be able to put the devices into set up mode remotely and give them the new WiFi info so that they can reconnect. The current system of having to be onsite to reconnect them doesn’t work for remote monitoring!

1 Like

Allow. Remote. Wi-Fi. Reconnection. Figure out a security feature or something but allow it.

1 Like

I am on vacation and one of my security cameras disconnected from our Wi-Fi network. I tested my Wi-Fi network remotely and it’s working fine. My other cameras are showing excellent signal strength. I was hoping I could reset just the one camera so that it would reconnect but it appears that this can only be done if I am physically with the camera because it requires a button to be pushed. Given that this is a product that is supposed to allow you to monitor your home remotely that seems silly. There are other Wi-Fi networks I could use if mine is not working so I would like to remotely trigger the camera to look for nearby Wi-Fi networks and allow me to choose the one to connect to instead.

How about have a toggle setting in the app to allow the camera to reboot itself after 12 hours (or whatever hours) of no wifi?

1 Like

This is the problem I have right now.
I’m 1500 miles away from home.
The internet went out for about 14 hours and disconnected all my ring devices.
Now I cannot get them to reconnect unless someone presses a button on the devices.

Serious design flaw that I’m sure Ring thinks is a feature.
Won’t be home for another 5 weeks.
This is unacceptable.

1 Like

Ring just added a reboot mode in the smartphone app. This is the most requested feature and Ring just added it to resolve this particular issue. Try this if you have a problem reconnecting your camera to wifi.

Visit this: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/7438395032980-How-to-Reboot-your-Ring-Doorbell-or-Security-Camera-from-the-Ring-App-

2 Likes

This is the problem I have right now.
I’m 1500 miles away from home.
Two weeks ago The internet went out for about 14 hours and disconnected all my ring devices.
Now I can’t get them to reconnect unless someone presses a button on the devices.

Serious design flaw that I’m sure Ring thinks is a feature.
Won’t be home for another 5 weeks.
This is unacceptable.

I have a ring doorbell and garage wired floodlight cam and an outside regular ring cam.

All are useless because the internet went down for a few hours and I’m out of town for a couple months.

If we had know this feature was part of the system we wouldn’t have gone with Ring.

This issue is very easy to fix. Here is what you can do based on my experience. I’m using Comcast connecting my own modem which is compatible with Comcast. My modem has a reboot feature in the app which allows me to reboot the wifi whenever I want anywhere. The same thing on my routers, I have 2 routers and they also have the reboot mode in the app. Still with me so far?

I usually travel out of the country once a year for about 1 month and every time I can’t connect to my Ring cameras, I reboot the modem first and then the routers using the reboot mode in the app. Now, Ring just added a reboot feature in the app for the cameras which you can also use it as well.

Like I said this is my solution for my Ring cameras whenever I can’t view them on my phone. I have 10 Ring cameras total around my house; therefore, I invested lots of money for my modem and routers to make sure the wifi is not out of range for the cameras. In total, I invested about $1000 for 2 routers and 1 modem.

This is a HUGE issue for Ring and would have been a deal breaker if I had known before investing in the system. The “remote reboot” functionality is nice, but does not help if the camera(s) with issues didn’t properly reconnect to your wifi network. This happened to one of mine for seemingly no reason, given the wifi credentials and position of router/camera haven’t changed (and the other 5 cameras reconnect fine, some being farther from the router).

There needs to be some kind of in-house solution for this problem, whether it be the camera attempting to reconnect more frequently or a remote reconnection function in the app (could communicate over z-wave from the base station?).

Really hope this is a priority for the team at Ring!

1 Like

Here’s my problem, not sure to mention here or thread to connect to new router. I need a option to connect my spotlight cams to a new router remotely. Climbing up in winter months to push a button isn’t a good option! I saw a recent update to re-connect remotely but not sure if this would work to connect to a new network.