Reconnect to WiFi & Change WiFi Networks in the Ring App

Whenever network connection in lost, your Ring device(s) will automatically reconnect once the same network is available again. In the event that you need to reconnect your Ring device(s), or even change networks, this guide will help you achieve just that!

Click on the arrows > to expand each section for details! :slight_smile:

Where to find the Reconnect option for your Ring devices.

For Ring Video Doorbells , Cameras, Chimes, and the Smart Lighting Bridge, this option is found in the Device Health section of your Ring app:

1. From the Ring dashboard, visit the Main Menu (three lines top left)
  2. Select Devices
  3. Select the Ring device you need to reconnect to wifi.
  4. Tap on the Device Health tile.
  5. Tap on Reconnect to Wifi or Change Wifi Network .

For the Ring Alarm Base Station:

1. Follow steps 1 - 3 above , to select your Ring Alarm > Alarm Base Station .
  2. While viewing the Base Station in the Ring app, select Device Settings .
  3. Select Network Settings .
  4. Tap on Reconnect to Wifi or Change Wifi Network .

Why would I need to Change WiFi networks?

• Adding a Chime Pro to extend WiFi to your existing Ring devices.

• Changing your WiFi network name, router, or even internet service provider, can make a network change necessary.

• Upgrading from a 2.4 GHz network to a 5 GHz network with a Ring device that is not compatible with 5GHz.

5Ghz WiFi Compatible Ring Devices

Video Doorbells

• Ring Video Doorbell 3
  • Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro
  • Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
  • Ring Video Doorbell Elite

Security Cameras

• Floodlight Cam Wired
  • Floodlight Cam Wired Pro

Learn more about confirming which Ring device you have, via the Ring App.

Why didn’t my Ring Devices Automatically Reconnect?
This can happen if:

• Your router is in an enclosed area (i.e. Closet, Cabinets, etc.), or stored behind large objects (i.e. Appliances, Furniture, etc.). See images below for example

• Move your router to a centrally located area, away from objects and electronics, and with a minimal amount of walls to deliver signal
  • Your WiFi network name changed and/or your WiFi network password changed.

• Your WiFi network password has special characters or symbols in it (i.e. #, !, etc.)
  • You upgraded from a 2.4 GHz network to a 5 GHz ,with a 2.4 GHz only compatible Ring device.

• Power issues such as loose wiring, low battery, switch controlled outlet turned off, and other common power related factors.

Closet | Couch

Quick Tip! Try rebooting your router by temporarily unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in again.

Learn more about Reconnecting your Ring devices in our Help Center article.

Check your RSSI in the Device Health section of the Ring app, to ensure for optimal wifi signal.

For more information about changing networks or reconnecting your Ring devices, check out our Community guide below! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For more information about changing networks or reconnecting your Ring devices, check out our Community guide below! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Conjure.Shrank.Cod.Scorebook

Just wanted to provide some feedback - my ring doorbell (3 plus) frequently disconnects - last time battery level was sitting at 89% … and once it disconnects, it doesn’t reconnect without help. I have tried restarting the router, but that doesn’t work … HOWEVER restarting the ring (by taking out the battery and disconnecting the power feed) does allow it to reconnect … but having to do this at random intervals (after a few days / few weeks / month or so) is a poor experience. The fact that it reconnects without issue when restarted indicates that there appears to be some firmware bug / fault with the device rather than poor signal, etc … a fault that gets the device in a tizzy … very frustrating!!!

1 Like

Do you have to remove the doorbell to replace the battery and restart? Mine has been disconnected for days and I can’t get it to work again. Every two minutes it’s been saying “welcome to ring press the button to start setup”. It’s so annoying I am ready to remove it and stop using it!

1 Like

Hi neighbors. For troubleshooting questions, please create a post in the Doorbells board. Make sure to include details on which model of Doorbell you have, as well as what concern you’re experiencing. Other members of the Community or a member of our team will assist with general troubleshooting tips and tricks.

My ring cameras are i consistent and unreliable for a few reasons.
The issue I’ll mention here is the fact that if they drop from the netwok, Im often require to manually reset them. WHY?!?!?
It’s currently about 9pm and i see my cameras are offline - AGAIN. It is not as simple as going to the app to reconnect as led to believe in the solution. The app requires to physically go to each light, press a button, wait for a light to flash, then follow the process to reconnect.
How completely inconvenient.
Its 9pm, dark, and cold. Going out in the cool night to fiddle with security cameras is not an appealing task. I will be without cameras and porch lights because these don’t have a remote reset option. And im often away from home when i realize they’ve offline.
It may be time to try a different product.

#dissatisfied in Plumas Lake

5 Likes

I got a new router and now I can’t use my Ring doorbell, because you’ve now made my phone incompatible with the APP. I’m on Android 8.0.0. and I can’t update my phone’s operating system, and I’m NOT buying a new phone. I’m just glad I was dropping this service in February. Thanks for nothing!

1 Like

I’ve had similar experience and a couple suggestions: you can check to see if there are a lot of other access points in the area which could be causing interference in your connection. Another situation that I have come across is when I have changed the password on my ring user account, you need to log into the ring website and make sure you log into the ring protection section of the website as well. Both need to be updated with your new user password before the device connect and show online.

1 Like

The router sign in and password changed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.