Rapid ring

Need a way to rapidly access cameras such as was possible in the rapid ring app. Fine if you can find a way to bundle it into the main app, but you have not done so.

Your community manager wrote that the ring app would “provide our customers with the same, and even better, the experience they came to expect from the Rapid Ring app” in your deprecation message but that is a plainly false statement. The ring app does not provide the same functionality, it requires many clicks to get to a camera view. It can take up to 11 clicks to get to a camera in the ring app whereas it took one click on rapid ring.

Here are some of the features you need to implement to restore the functionality lost:

1. All cameras clickable off the main screen without scrolling (no large preview image)

2. App always opens to the main screen. Today if you view a camera, flip away, and then flip back you’re still on that sub page and that’s where it can take 11 clicks to get a different camera up

3. No delay on main page loading non critical content like neighbors, event history, alarm status or image previews. Cameras must be immediately clickable without scrolling

4. Clicking the camera on the main page immediately opens live view, while providing a DIFFERENT way of opening the history. Not an option to pick either/or in settings since both views require rapid access

I get you think that you addressed the issue by speeding up camera loads in the main app but you haven’t even come close to addressing the feature gap left by deprecating rapid ring

iPhone user here. I agree. I cannot get into my cameras as fast as rapid ring. Was my favorite feature. Not happy with the change

1 Like

So I am really sad to see this Rapid Ring go away.

As we all know the ring app is slow…. Very slow on pulling up the live stream if it pulls up at all.
It’s a crap shoot…. If it will even work.

So what upgrades did I the Ring app get? God I hope the live stream viewing is a lot better or I’ll have to move my services else where.

Is there some sort of ring home DVR that will store the data here then up load to the cloud? I think that would solve some lagging issues.

Please I would like to know what upgrades the Ring app is getting.

Thanks
Susan W
10 plus year customer

Totally miss the Rapid Ring App, it takes sooo much longer to get a quick camera view with the regular Ring App. Is there a similar app or work around.

I work from home and have contractors and delivery agents coming and going constantly. I used the Rapid Ring app to provide a quick, rich notification I could check on while multitasking. Now that I have to rely on the standalone Ring app, I’m not happy.

Sometimes, I want to see what’s happening right this moment without having to wait seconds for a live shot and recording to load. Even with Gig-speed Wifi internet in the home and an iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 16, it’s just too laggy to be depended on. It’s not me–it’s you.

Ring Team: I like having the recordings on hand in case I’m away from home and want to keep an eye on things, but we need a quicker option to view live camera views without dumbing down the rest of the app itself. Bring back an app or feature to replace Rapid Ring.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to post that I will definitely move away from Ring products in the future because of rapid ring discontinuation unless a fast live view comes back.

Please bring back an option to one tap into a live view. It still takes one additional tap to talk (to my dog, to random person in my yard) but using the full ring app for that sucks. Extra time to open, have to navigate several taps…

I wasn’t affected by this until recently when rapid ring stopped functioning. Unsure if it’s altogether stopped, but it’s failing which it never did before, so I’m guessing it’s either incompatible or you’re forcing phase out.

If I get an alert, I need to be able to see what’s happening now. History is great if whatever is there isn’t anymore, but what’s more valuable is if there’s something still there that I need to react to. I had this functionality and now I don’t.

Inertia and spending when I don’t have to are things to take into account at present, but at some point I’ll give up waiting for this necessary feature to come back and buy with a competitor. I have to start researching now, because I doubt this will do anything, but this is where the ring rep said to give feedback, so I am.

Hi neighbors. Effective December 1st, 2022, anyone that actively used the Rapid Ring app was logged out and will no longer be able to use the Rapid Ring app moving forward. Since the Rapid Ring app was introduced, several performance enhancements have been made to the Ring app so that the Rapid Ring app is no longer needed.

To access Live View as quickly as possible on the Ring app, you can enable the Tap Camera Preview for Live View under Device Settings > Video Settings. With this setting enabled, tapping the camera preview on the dashboard of the Ring app will automatically activate the Live View rather than bring you to the Event History Timeline.

1 Like

That isn’t true either. It’s Dec. 17th and I’m still logged in and it still works. And still works better than the ring app. You’re missing the point the customers are making. When we get a notification, I want to click on the notification and have my camera view instantly pop up without having to scroll or click on anything else. Ring designed that in the rapid ring app. Why can’t they do it in the ring app.? When I click on a notification, it shouldn’t open to my dash board. That’s not what I want to see. If I want to go to the dash board, I’ll open the app itself then.

A follow up to my last statement, I did notice a difference sometime around Dec. 1st. and it happened to be around the day that I got the email stating rapid ring was no longer supported. (I had received the same email several months prior.) My motion notifications suddenly were delayed, anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. and about 25% of the notifications were never received. None of the notifications have been immediate since then. My wifi hasn’t changed. Everything else in my house is working the same as it always has. I have many smart devices and they are just as quick on response as they always have been. After several days of these delays, I thought maybe it had something to do with that email, so I disabled everything in the rapid ring app. That changed nothing. I’m still getting noticeable delays or none at all.
I will try the latest suggestion from Caitlyn and see if that helps getting to live view any quicker, but what’s up with the notification delays?

The suggestion from Caitlyn did work. When I click on the notification, it goes right to the live view pretty quickly. Definitely just as fast as the rapid ring did, so I am very happy with that. I am still getting a 5-30 second delay getting the notifications though. And about 10-15% not at all. Everything else in the house that’s wifi run has not had any issues or delays. Doing a health check on the devices show no problems and the same signal range as when I hooked them up a couple years back.

Rapid ring is great and it’s quick. Even after the upgrades, the main app is still slow and clunky. Big vote against discontinuing rapid ring.

5 Likes

I agree. It’s a stupid decision. The main ring app is slow and sends duplicate notifications every single time. Moronic choice.

3 Likes

The regular ring isn’t fine. It’s slow and clunky.

3 Likes

Agree with everyone and the silent majority who don’t know how to express their outrage. Rapid ring solved so many of my problems and my family and friends. It is mush faster than ring from notification to video. Most of the time I do not need to go back in time. Plus rapid ring doesn’t ask if you want live view (yes I know this is a setting in the main app). I use the main ring app to configure or to research back in time events. Nothing more. It took me a while to find rapid ring. Most people didn’t know it was an option. I turned many of my friends on who thanked me profusely. So I get it, your usage data doesn’t support the cost of maintaining an additional app. Your leadership wants to reduce cost and simplify. Your data is wrong. You didn’t really market this rapid version. So I stumbled upon it looking for a more reliable way to view my live cameras. And yes, I have lodged tickets in the past about how inconsistent and bad the ring app has been. No solutions. Just the usual BS troubleshooting the basics.

PLEASE reconsider. I’ll maintain the app myself for free.

2 Likes

Rapid Ring worked just fine. I made the mistake of deleting it thinking the Ring app would alert the same…it doesn’t… i no longer get the motion alerts i can quickly respond to. yes i have checked my settings. yes it is the current version. If you’re going to delete an app that useful, at least make sure the features are included in the regular app…or just bring it back…

2 Likes

Hi neighbors, a new Live View widget is rolling out for the Ring app on iOS and Android. You can then quickly and easily access the Live View on your Ring Doorbell or Camera with the use of the widget. To learn more about this feature and how to set it up, check out this Community post in the Ring Updates board. :slight_smile: