Porch/Garage Light Design

I would like to see Ring design a light cam that I can replace my porch or side garage door lights with. Not floodlights or stick up cameras but something like the latern style you would buy at Lowes. The lights could be on low at all times but when motion is detected they turn on high and the camera is activated. It would be an attractive alternative to the floodlights or other cameras available.

4 Likes

I got a security cam from Amazon that is a normal ligtbulb too which I use in my porch light housing.

@Ring this is going going to make it a lot easier to install and use for people who can’t install devices for some reason.

1 Like

Awesome. Thank you for your feedback, neighbors! Just to confirm, you have seen the Spotlight Cam: Battery or Wired, correct?

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Awesome. Thank you for your feedback, neighbors! Just to confirm, you have seen the Spotlight Cam: Battery or Wired, correct?

My Homeowners Association (HOA) will object to non-standard fixtures attached to the house that is visible from the street. Too many people doing that may allude to some notion that it is an unsafe neighborhood, which puts downward pressure on property prices (like putting grills on windows).

That’s why I use a security cam lightbulb that fits into the existing porch light housing.

1 Like

The spotlight cam does not look like a typical porch light. It would be nice to have a one piece design…latern housing, bulb and camera, seamlessly blending in and looking like normal light fixtures.

1 Like

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

INMO this is a significant limitation with RING.

Most homes with garages etc already have light fixtures that are powered by a switch. Additionally, these fixtures have features such as dawn/dusk and dimmed lighting until motion is detected. As far as I can tell, Ring doesn’t have a device that provides all these features. To make it a bit more complicated if you have more than one fixture (a light on both sides of your garage door) it wouldn’t be ascetically pleasing to replace one of the fixtures. A simple lightbulb could possibly do the trick or obviously a better yet a wall lantern style.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing with the Community, neighbors! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile: