Open sensor notification

Hi
You can setup 2 routines with Alexa.
Routine (1) When the Door is opened:
Name: Whatever you want
When: Select the device and the trigger you are looking for. For me its the door and the trigger is open.
Anytime: for me is Always. You can setup as you like,
Add action: I did customized
“Set a timer for 10 minutes”
From: This device in my case, again you can setup as you need.
Save

Routine (2) When the Door is Closed:
Name: Whatever you want
When: Select the device and the trigger you are looking for. For me its the door and the trigger is closed.
Anytime: for me is Always. You can setup as you like,
Add action: I did customized
“cancel timer for 10 minutes”
From: This device in my case, again you can setup as you need.
Save

Only way I found it to work. A little tedious but hey I know.

Under your routines menu you can tap the Blue play button to simulate the routine happening.
Or physically do the deed.

2 Likes

please add an alert when door stays open more than x minutes. For me, if more than 2 minutes. Announce: Front door has been open for 2 minutes. Back door has been open for 5 minutes. This is easy and important. I don’t use a chime when the door closes.

2 Likes

This is the reason I logged in today. Please add this important feature. What is taking so long to accomplish this.

2 Likes

please add this feature!

1 Like

There should definitely be notifications for things left open, especially doors, that a user can select the notification on a per sensor level.

1 Like

I would like to see this feature added.

This feature has the fifth highest votes at the time of my reply so you would hope it will be added.

2 Likes

Ring, this is absolutely needed. 414 votes as of this post. I just bought my system and am considering returning it.

3 Likes

Two years later and nothing? At least expand the API so we can use 3rd parties like ITTT or something to achieve the same functionality.

1 Like

Well I figured out a hack work-around for now; using Alexa Routines and just setting a named timer.
Just replace [name] and [number] below with whatever values you want.

1. Create a Routine to trigger when sensor opens. Set action to a custom action with the text “set timer [name] for [number] minutes”. Set target device (phone, echo, etc)

2. Create another Routine to trigger when sensor closes. Set action to a custom action with the text “cancel timer [name]”. Set target device

That should do it. Timer will go off unless cancelled by the sensor close routine. I’m sure you could also have Alexa send a delayed message/text/email/etc to a device instead of a timer, but I haven’t tried yet. This work well enough for me, for now.

Why is this not a feature? It’s standard on any system with door sensors. This seems to be a known issue going on 3+ years and would require a
simple software programming with no hardware upgrades

1 Like

Open sensor notifications is a much needed feature. Can this be implemented soon please.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Add another vote for this feature. Especially important when you have pets.

1 Like

This is basic home automation and security monitoring and deserves more attention.

1 Like

Come on Ring, at least give us an estimate of when this will be addressed. I’m a software developer and have an idea of how much effort this would be to implement (not much).

I sometimes leave an exterior door open for hours before realizing it - I’d love to be able to get a notification on my phone after 10 minutes or something. And I don’t even have pets or small kids, when this would be critical!

1 Like

So disappointed. I am trying to switch from Wyze to Ring so I bought the Ring Alarm just for contact Sensors. Looks like after 2 years this still isn’t a feature. Maybe I’m heading the wrong direction. Even the first gen Wyze sensors has this feature. I want to make sure my wife didn’t leave the door open for the dog and come in another door after the dog goes around to the front. So delay 10 minutes.

1 Like

Please add an option to get an alert when a sensor has been left open for an extended period of time. For me, I would set to 2 minutes. No reason for me to have a door left open for 2 minutes, and I want to be alerted. This is a simple and important feature. I can look at the app to see which door is open after I am alerted. Though it would be best if the base would announce: front door sensor remains open.

1 Like

I am perplexed as to why this is not a feature of the Ring system, as every other system I am aware support this. If sensor is open for >X, text “Door Left Open” or something like this. Must have, Ring team.

1 Like

+1, can’t believe this still isn’t a feature.

1 Like

There might be a workaround with Alexa, will need to test it out over the next few days, but here is how I set it up.

Create an Alexa routine for your contact sensor, choose the trigger as ‘Opened’, choose the action as ‘Custom’ and type in ‘Set a reminder to close the door in 5 minutes with follow-up enabled’. This reminds you to close the door in 5 minutes (if it’s still open) and if you have left it open for greater than 5 minutes, adding the ‘follow-up enabled’ part will ensure Alexa keeps pestering you every hour until you close it. (I wish there was a way to have it remind you every 5 minutes, but seems like every hour is the lowest duration Alexa supports)

Create another Alexa routine for your contact sensor, choose the trigger as ‘Closed’, choose the action as ‘Custom’ and type in ‘Cancel the reminder to close the door’. This ensures the reminder gets deleted whenever you close the door.

Why is this a feature we have to request when it should have been included since day 1? Come on Ring! You can do this!

2 Likes