Open sensor notification

Is any progress being made on this? Need this ASAP!

5 Likes

Another comment to bump this up.

Like users in other threads, I came to ring from xfinity home which has this functionality.
The phone alert when a door is opened or closed is nearly useless, however an alert when a door has been opened for 5 min then closed very useful.
Please develop this, it seems pretty simple to include in the app. you already have notification when opened/closed just include the time delay as another toggle button.

6 Likes

Same here - I came from Xfinity and found Ring to be a much better product and value overall, given it integrates my existing Ring doorbells and spotlight.

However, the door left open functionality is a must-have. Right now I would have to poll the app periodically to see if anything has been left open.

I guess I can build it if you have APIs. :smiley:

7 Likes

Yes please!!!

6 Likes

Just another +1. This would be a super useful feature!

6 Likes

I canā€™t believe it canā€™t do this, I would trade any existing feature for this one.

7 Likes

This is not exactly a work-around butā€¦

Iā€™ve created routines via Alexa to alert when the doors are open and to repeat every 5 minutes if they stay open.

Only problem is I havenā€™t found a way to suppress the initial alert from Alexa ā€“ so I just have my Echo Show give a voice alert, i.e. ā€œback door is openā€ whenever a door is open and repeat every 5 minutes if it stays open. Plus itā€™s good to know which door is opening instead of the generic beep.

There must be a more clever way to do this.

4 Likes

How did you accomplish the check every 5 minutes in the routine? I hadnā€™t figured out how to do that.

Could you just start the routine with a Wait command for 5 minutes?

1 Like

I would like to see this feature too. Very useful to many!!

4 Likes

Hey, how did you get that to work with the Alexa routines? I couldnā€™t figure out the repetition and delay part. Thank you!

2 Likes

I need a contact sensor on my bottom pull out freezer and get an alert if it is open more than X mins. It is super easy for something to drop down in the back and it doesnā€™t close all the way and the kids donā€™t notice it.

5 Likes

Please implement this ASAP as its a major feature currently missing.

7 Likes

Another vote for this feature.

4 Likes

Just switched from a professional system with Alarm.com. This is such a big deal Iā€™m considering sending my entire ring kit back (along with all the sensors, motion detectors, etc.)

My previous system sent me a text message and a push notification if certain sensors were left open beyond 10 mins (eg. back door). or if a certain sensor was left open after a time, eg. garage door left open after 10pm. Very useful with kids running in and out all day.

Iā€™m sure this will be rolled out in months or years, but unfortunately the cost savings from moving to ring arenā€™t worth it.

3 Likes

Agreed. Can even be an alexa skill to announce or text if left open past a time or left open too long.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more, this must be added and is an essential feature!!

4 Likes

bump.
This still isnā€™t a feature. Simple feature request goes ignored for this long means Ring doesnā€™t care.

2 Likes

This would be amazing to have. In my case, when I first bought Ring system, I install two sensors in rooms with A/C, hoping that if the door is left open it sends me an alert, or trigger an action in Alexa to turn off the A/C automatically. I hope this can be added any time soon

3 Likes

Bump!

I want this feature!

4 Likes

They have not implemented this ā€œDoor ajar X minutesā€ feature in over three years. I am starting to think they really donā€™t care. It is time my system maybe returned back to Costco.

3 Likes