Open sensor notification

I can’t believe it can’t do this, I would trade any existing feature for this one.

This is not exactly a work-around but…

I’ve created routines via Alexa to alert when the doors are open and to repeat every 5 minutes if they stay open.

Only problem is I haven’t found a way to suppress the initial alert from Alexa – so I just have my Echo Show give a voice alert, i.e. “back door is open” whenever a door is open and repeat every 5 minutes if it stays open. Plus it’s good to know which door is opening instead of the generic beep.

There must be a more clever way to do this.

How did you accomplish the check every 5 minutes in the routine? I hadn’t figured out how to do that.

Could you just start the routine with a Wait command for 5 minutes?

I would like to see this feature too. Very useful to many!!

Hey, how did you get that to work with the Alexa routines? I couldn’t figure out the repetition and delay part. Thank you!

1 Like

I need a contact sensor on my bottom pull out freezer and get an alert if it is open more than X mins. It is super easy for something to drop down in the back and it doesn’t close all the way and the kids don’t notice it.

1 Like

Please implement this ASAP as its a major feature currently missing.

1 Like

Another vote for this feature.

1 Like

Just switched from a professional system with Alarm.com. This is such a big deal I’m considering sending my entire ring kit back (along with all the sensors, motion detectors, etc.)

My previous system sent me a text message and a push notification if certain sensors were left open beyond 10 mins (eg. back door). or if a certain sensor was left open after a time, eg. garage door left open after 10pm. Very useful with kids running in and out all day.

I’m sure this will be rolled out in months or years, but unfortunately the cost savings from moving to ring aren’t worth it.

Agreed. Can even be an alexa skill to announce or text if left open past a time or left open too long.

Couldn’t agree more, this must be added and is an essential feature!!

bump.
This still isn’t a feature. Simple feature request goes ignored for this long means Ring doesn’t care.

This would be amazing to have. In my case, when I first bought Ring system, I install two sensors in rooms with A/C, hoping that if the door is left open it sends me an alert, or trigger an action in Alexa to turn off the A/C automatically. I hope this can be added any time soon

Bump!

I want this feature!

1 Like

They have not implemented this “Door ajar X minutes” feature in over three years. I am starting to think they really don’t care. It is time my system maybe returned back to Costco.

Bump! This is sorely missing.

1 Like

Completely agree this feature is a must.

1 Like

This is such a simple feature and I don’t understand why it’s still not implemented. I’ve had Ring for more than 2 years and we finally got mode schedules. This is one of those basic features that should be easy to implement.

Also, admins, can you change the title of this request to, “sensor left open notification”?

This is what everyone is asking for.

What we’d like to have:
Inside the sensor settings, a tab for “left open”
Inside this tab, below settings:

• how long should Ring wait till alerting that the sensor is left open (a range from 10 seconds to 24 hours)

• how many times the notification/alert should sound/be sent (once/ 5 times / 10 times / unlimited -until sensor closed)

• how frequently should the notification sound/be sent (a range between 5 seconds to an hour)

• what type of notifications (push / email / chime)

• what chime it should use if any (most people will want this to be different than sensor open)

Am I missing anything?

Is there any update on this? It’s an absolutely essential feature for many that is currently missing.

1 Like

There’re 228 votes at the time of my post. Doesn’t this thread deserve at least a response from development team?

I agree with some people raising alarm.com. I did rely on the feature in question back in alarm.com days.

1 Like