Only opens via app if buzzer pressed first - Ring Intercom & Bell 801

Hi there

Just installed the Ring Intercom.

Conected to a Bell 801 intercom system using Wire set A.

There is a buzzer outside for my flat outside the front and back doors. So there is a 2 door setup.

Everything looks fine apart from one issue.

I can only unlock the door if the buzzer is pressed from the outside.

This seems to be the case when testing the front door and the back door.

But if just using the app to unlock either door without buzzing first the door does not open regardless of the app notification saying the door is unlocked.

Is this to do with the Ring Intercom or the Intercom system in my flat or to do with the two door setup. Or just not wiring something properly when i installed the Ring Intercom.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @Harpellipsis, Welcome to the Ring Community!!!

thanks for sharing your problem with our Community.

Some home systems are equipped with the Ring to open function for security reasons.

So remote opening can only work if someone physically rings your home intercom. Unfortunately, it is not something that we can change as it is a physical functionality of your home system.

In your case, if you receive notifications when someone rings at your door and you can remotely open the door via the app, the wiring has been done correctly.

However, you can view the following Ring support page that explains in detail this functionality of Ring to open.

Using Remote Unlock with your Ring Intercom: https://support.help.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/14148473018388-Using-Remote-Unlock-with-your-Ring-Intercom

Hope this helped you.

Thanks again for your contact.

1 Like