Notification of device offline

What’s breathtaking is Ring’s lack of customer service on this issue. This is a major security flaw in their system. I know this is an old thread but I am literally beginning to think I may cancel my Ring Protect service and go with another system very soon. I really feel ripped off. All other security systems I’m aware of have this feature…but not Ring/Amazon because as we all know…they know what’s best for us (smh). Sending back the bulbs I just placed an order for as well. My search to buy a real security system begins now.

2 Likes

405 votes on this - Ring where are we with this??? Honestly this system is just a toy without offline alerts.

Ring needs to set up push notifications if a device is no longer connected to network or goes offline.
If the router was to go offline or become unplugged you are unaware of this unless you are watching the app consistently which obviously is counter productive. This then creates blind spots in your History where events could have been possible.
Example: A teenager that knows they can pull the power plug out of the router, ninja out of the house, come back, plug it back in, no events recorded. If your not watching the app every second you would never know. So having notifications if the camera is no longer online = grounded teenager.

Or upgrade the cameras to take snapshots when camera is offline. When it goes back online push them through to your event history/notifications.

What did parents do before tech to know when their child was in the house or not? Seems like if you are relying on a notification on your phone to tell you when your child is home or not then you have much bigger issues.

Good luck!

Really need to have some means of being told that the doorbell has gone offline. Just had a parcel left in a “safe place” rather than being handed to me just because the doorbell isn’t working!

This is really poor. I might just as well not have a doorbell for all the good this is doing me … and now they want more money to keep the subscription going???

I just looked at the History of my outdoor motion sensor (connected to Ring smart lighting bridge) and noticed that the sensor went offline twice yesterday. Once for 3 minutes and another for 20 minutes. I want to know when this sort of a problem happens. Please allow an option to get a push notification when a device connected to the Ring Smart Lighting Bridge goes offline.

They used to have that. They turned it off, because these stupid security lights have some sort of horrible bug in their firmware. They periodically go offline and then online for one minute, offline again for a half hour, back up for a minute. It’s all logged in the app, but they were flooding people’s phones with these alerts and the “solution” was to turn them off for everyone, with no option to turn them back on. (!)

The root cause remains, of course, so you have to periodically power cycle them to get them back to “smart” status again. This reminds me of the old weather stations that periodically required popping the batteries out and putting them back to get the temperature to show up on the base station again. Bottom line, if a human has to monitor and babysit a device, it isn’t a smart device. In some ways, these things are worse than the old “dumb” equivalents.

A sample:

I have a solar door light set up at the bottom of my back deck and step lights at the top.

I don’t seem to see the ability to modify the notifications for these lights like I can for the video flood light cam. The solar lights seem to be only able to use what is set as your phone notification for all phone notifications.

I have my video floodlight cam set to the “barking dogs” so I know something is up in the middle of the night and will wake me up. I want to set the solar lights to “barking dogs” as well so I can be alerted of someone coming up my deck uninvited at night.

Is there a way to modify that I’m not seeing?

Ring Mod - This should be an app upgrade if it is not.

Did you ever get an answer to this question?I have the same requirement

There has been a few times when my chime doorbell (The box that makes the noise that’s connected to the ring video doorbell) goes offline and I am completely unaware & end up missing people at the door who ring the bell & nothing can be heard that they are there.

The only way I can tell if the chime doorbell has gone off-line, is if I check on the app.

An improvement would be if any of the system goes down or off-line then a notification is sent via the app and issue a follow-up email.

This wouldthen prompt you to fix the problem or reconnect.

Ths same notification idea should apply when the Ring video doorbell goes off line.

How is this possible? Ring does not notify for offline events?

Google Nest does. I get an email within one minute of a device going offline.

Its pretty dangerous not knowing cameras are offline. Might miss an important event.

What if there is a power or network issue?

What a disgrace. This can hardly be called a security camera, security system, or anything security with such big loopholes and missing features.

Agree, toy system, Ring/Amazon could give two craps

Is it true that this is still not possible with Ring alone? The only solutions I have seen is to set up my own home server, or buy a 3rd party device that will constantly ping my Ring devices on my network to check on their status. Then I have to set up a process for an email notification to be sent and then I have to check my phone every time I get an email to see if my Ring Doorbell is offline. I am aware I could just set up another process so the email makes a different sound than other emails, but why is this the best solution??? Nest has offline notifications.

1 Like

I seriously regret switching from Nest to Ring. Nest had basic features from day one, that Ring has failed to catch up to over many years.

My neighbor continues to hack my camera and take my one camera offline. I’ve called customer service about it. If they would establish an alert notification when a device is taken off line it would solve a LOT of problems as mentioned here and at CS. the agent told me he had several requests for a notification of an offline devise that he was going to be strongly requesting to his “team “. I spoke to them about this 2years ago so I don’t have high hopes. Yet it can’t be that big of a software deal for them to add it. With all the robberies taking place now it would benefit RING as a ‘security’ company to do so, asap.

it will tell me when the squirrel ate the power cable… and then I need to change the cable.

I am disappointed to understand this feature is still not available after it was suggested a few years ago, for a company the size of Ring surely this is fairly simple to implement especially as the service cost Ring users with a monthly subscription. We have a fairly stable internet connection so this was not my initial concern although clearly a concern when it goes offline for a security device as already mentioned, today I have learnt that criminals are targeting ring and other wifi security devices in the area with a WIFI blocker to shut down/block the WIFI on the camera systems to prevent users being alerted. I would have thought this was not possible to do but it is… a separate controllable alert like when motion is detected to me is a perfect solution. Ring team please listen to this request or offer alternative support for this concern!