Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
B
Notification of device offline
battery-video-doorbell
wireless-security-cameras
notifications
app-request
chime
It would be nice to be notified if a camera (or doorbell) is offline, like Ring does with the alarm system. Would not need to be instant (I get the load issues), maybe a periodic ping to the camera every so often. One other way to do it could be for cameras set to upload periodic snapshots, if they quit coming. I am sure Ring can find a way to do this. Just so we would know if an installed camera has gone offline.

17-03-2020 08:54:04

Responses (199)

I
+1

18-04-2020 07:59:46

R
I have AT&T 50mbps internet and the reliabilitiy of a fast good connection is not probable. My RING cameras show no connection but I never know this until I try to view "live view" on my cameras.

05-05-2020 04:27:51

I
Why isn't this already a thing?

02-06-2020 04:14:45

B
Indeed there should be a big red bar on the timeline when the Internet connection is not present Today our Internet connection was down for a short time and when I went to review the camera I thought I should have motion on there and I did not because I knew it was down but I don't know known this it could be a big problem when it detects motion but there is no Internet connection

09-09-2020 07:54:49

P
Hey Ring Execs, Go hire Nest developers to help you with this. Nest has been able to notify you when a camera is down since they were Dropcam. Seriously considering changing to the Nest Hello and replacing all my Echo shows with Google Nest Hubs. I have to keep my Nest cameras facing the front door because i can't trust the Ring equipment. Sad. Very Annoyed seeing my Ring Doorbell down for another day without me knowing.

18-11-2020 03:46:42

U

4 years later and it’s still not a thing

06-05-2024 10:01:34

C
I was shocked the first time my Doorbell cam dropped offline and I didn't find out until days later when I noticed a visitor didn't trigger an app notification. It seems to be a rather glaring oversight that a product that relies on WiFi and bills itself as a home security product doesn't have a mechanism to notify when the camera is no longer communicating to Ring's backend servers.

22-05-2020 03:33:05

B
Dear Ring, There are so many times the floodlight camera disconnected for long time without my knowledge. First, could you please add this feature so that the users get notification when the camera is disconnected so that they can check on it? Second, please stop the light indication when the camera is not functioning or disconnected. It just let everyone knows the camera is not working. Just send user notification instead. Sincerely, BT

24-05-2020 06:03:47

I
This would be a great idea, and honestly, why isn't it already implemented? I have an old dlink ip camera that sends me notifications when it goes offline. Not just the floodlight cam, but any ring device should notify you when it goes offline, with an optional way to turn off the notification of you dont want it. I know this is possible because I get notifications when the ring alarm goes offline.

02-06-2020 04:13:43

J
Recently I found out my camera was not connected (despite being on hardwired POE) over ethernet for power and data. I didn't know it wasn't recording for 12+ hours. This would frequently happen. Also I would like to know when my internet is not working. The server should have a dead man alarm so that if the device doesn't respond back say every 5 minutes then it is detected as down for whatever reason and an alert should be sent to the mobile phone so we know something is a miss. This is particularly important say if someone were to compromise your power/internet connection.

02-06-2020 03:38:32

A
yes please this would be great on spot light and flood light camera. If they haven't seen a snap shot for a while or connection is lost send an email and alert.

02-07-2020 03:42:43

B
I agree ... yes yes!

12-07-2020 11:21:45

S

Ive just went 2 days with no cameras or lights as the fuse had gone.

How is this not a thing! Even my plugs tell me theyre offline ffs!!

COME ON RING!!

05-05-2024 08:33:27

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User