No Power at Doorbell

I have the pro doorbell, powered off the official Ring transformer. About a week ago it just stopped working. I confirmed 120VAC on the primary leads, but there is zero output from the transformer on the secondary and obviously no power to the doorbell itself.

So I ordered a replacement transformer from Ring, and i’m still having the same problem. 120 V confirmed, but no power coming out. If it helps at all, the resistance on the primary side of the first unit is about 21 OHMs, haven’t checked the new one. So not sure how to proceed…seems like it has to be the transformer? Is there anything I’m missing that it could be, other than the first transformer failing and the second being bad out of the box?

Also wondering if the doorbell unit itself developed a short and is killing the transformers. Anyone know how to test the doorbell itself with a multi?

Hey @TheDyers! You’ve covered just about everything I’d recommend and more. Thank you for including the OHMs to show resistance, in which there does not sound to be a lot of. The Pro Power Kit should also be installed (depending on region) between the Doorbell Pro and transformer, whether it is to include the chime kit, or bypass it.

The length of wire run and gauge of the wire can also determine resistance and flow of voltage to your Video Doorbell Pro. Check out this Hardwiring Guide for some main variables I check when installing a Doorbell Pro.

As you’ve worked with our support team for a transformer replacement, they can certainly help with a more in-depth look at this, if needed. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thanks Marley. The way i have this set up is a very short trip from the transformer to the Ring Pro, like just a matter of about three feet. Using 18 gauge wire, so i don’t think resistance is the issue.

You mention an interesting thing - per the instructions, the Power Pro kit is not needed with the pro unless one is using a wired, traditional chime. Is that not correct?

Also, if the kit is in fact required, I’m thinking the Ring Pro itself may have bitten the dust. Is there any way to check functionality of that using a multi?

Note that I’d call, but the hold times are so extreme that i really can’t step away from my job for the hour it will take to get someone :confused: so really hoping to get some more insight here. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for confirming those details, @TheDyers, sorry to hear about the long hold times.

Great question on the Pro Power Kit. Indeed this is usually required when an existing chime kit is wired in series, but also is needed if you are using a direct to transformer run. There are power solutions, such as the Plug-In Adapter, that does not require a Pro Power Kit, but in most other instances the Pro Power Kit will likely need to be wired in bypass mode.

I’ve included an article below, with information on installing the PPK as a bypass. While the illustrations will show a chime kit, there does not necessarily need to be one for the same wiring configuration to be obtained.

I’d agree that once all installation factors are checked, you’ve certainly providing more than adequate power for this device to at least power up. If there is still not response from the device, there could definitely be something more going on here. While it seems like a simple and obvious step, removing the wires from the back of the Doorbell Pro leads, checking for no corrosion or debris, and then securely re-fastening them into place can help with power connection.

Feel free to check back here, or around the Community, to see if other neighbors have shared any steps we may have not tried. If absolutely nothing is working to resolve it, the best resolution will come from our support team. Despite there potentially being a wait, you are welcome to reference this post to the support team for a quicker handling of this concern.

Thanks @Marley_Ring , Is there any way to check the Ring Pro itself for a possible short? Like would we expect to see any resistance across the terminals, and if so about how much? At this point I’ve confirmed everything is just fine up to the bell itself, but I’m reluctant to connect without confirming that the Ring Pro isn’t the root of the problem.