No events or Live Feed

My wifi signal is RSSI - 49 and upload and download speeds are good. Device health is all good. However, I have had no events today even though I have been in and out several times and had a delivery. Live feed says activating but just spins and nothing happens. Please help!

@Sgtrn wrote:
My wifi signal is RSSI - 49 and upload and download speeds are good. Device health is all good. However, I have had no events today even though I have been in and out several times and had a delivery. Live feed says activating but just spins and nothing happens. Please help!

You didn’t mention what model/type of Ring device that is giving you your problems. I also don’t know if this is the first time you’ve had “Live View” issues or not. So, I’ll try to cover several possible solutions that might help you, dependng on what device you have.

Start by checking if you device is even recording any events (which will tell you if your device is ‘awake’). If you had previously enabled the “Snap Shot” function, go to the 'Timeline" bar for your device and see if the “Snap Shots” have been continuingly recording at the proper intervals throughout the day. If you see that the Snapshots ceased, then you can see when your device ceased functioning properly. Sometimes the devices occassionally ‘just stop’ due to possible slightly-corrupted firmware from an update. If this is your case, (if your device is Plug-In electrical power (such as an Indoor Cam or plugged-in Stick-Up cam), sometimes simply unplug the device from the outlet, wait about 30 seconds, and plug it back in. If it is a battery-powered device with a “Quick Release Battery Pack”, you can remove the battery for about 30 seconds to achieve the same effect.

It should start working again, but if it ‘just stops’ working again in the future, I would suspect corrupted firmware and I would recommend you do a Hard Factory Reset** (press & hold the reset button for 30 seconds)**, instead of completing just a standard “setup”. A Hard reset will start you at a clean fresh starting setup, wiping out any possibly corrupted downloaded Firmware (other than what it had from the factory).

For Hard Factory Resets, it’s best that you Remove your camera from your phone app, prior to any Hard Reset (Main Menu > Devices > select your cam > Device Settings (Gear Icon) > General Settings > Remove This Device.

During the hard setup, do not click “Skip” when you get to the part when it is downloading new, fresh “Glitch-free” Firmware (could take 5 or 6 minutes). If possible, temporarily move either the cam or router closer, so a good clean firmware download can happen.

Secondly, when you said, “Live feed says activating but just spins and nothing happens” issue, and if it isn’t a firmware issue, it could be Wi-Fi related. Ring Video requires a much higher Wi-Fi data-stream connection, and if not, you may encounter problems (Slow or No “Live View” connections, Black-screen videos, etc.). A strong signal connection doesn’t necessarily mean a good data connection. I too was having intermittent/delayed Live View connection and occasional Black Videos issues with one of my cameras. Now, both my Live View connection and Black Videos not longer occur and Live View is established rapidly every time! In my case, even with a good RSSI (a low value of 48) signal strength number (displayed on “Device Health”), my issue was the Wi-Fi path of the Video data-stream between the router and my camera (was passing through a double-brick fireplace with a metal chain grating in front of it). This path degraded my data-stream. Since I couldn’t move my router nor camera (to improve Wi-Fi reception or path), a Wi-Fi ‘repeater’ type-device enabled me to have the signal path “go around” the brick/metal grate. Any good 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi repeater, placed about half the distance between your Router and cam should help both with your poor RSSI strength and choosing a low-density-obstruction path (or the Ring Chime Pro, which I did purchase which solved my signal-path interference issues).

Check your Wi-Fi router. If you have two SSIDs, you will need to find out which one is 2.4 and which one is 5, and then you will connect your Ring device to the SSID for the 2.4 Ghz network. In my experience, Ring high-data-stream video does NOT do well competing with other Wi-Fi devices for bandwidth of 2.4GHz. Since my router is both Wi-Fi 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz, I moved as many of my other devices (that were 5GHz capable) to only use the 5GHz band, thereby reducing the competition for the Ring Cams. I reconfigured my dual-band router’s into two separate SSID log-in names. I named the 2.4GHz band to “2WireXXX” and named the 5GHZ band “2WireXXX 5G” leaving both with the same password. Then my other Wi-Fi devices that could use 5GHz, I used “forget this network” and then logged them onto only the “2WireXXX 5G”.

You might want to look into modifying your 2.4GHz Channel Selection too, to minimize interference issues created by neighbor’s routers or signal-generating devices in your home (microwaves, electric motors, etc.). In the router’s default “Auto” mode, routers often pick a mainly from commonly-used channels in Auto Mode (Ch 1, Ch 6, Ch 11). But accessing my router’s configuration through my PC browser and using a downloaded App on my Window’s PC (Wifi Analyzer and Scanner), I configure my router not to use its Auto Channel Selection Mode, and rather stay on the 2.4GHz channel of my choice . There are 11 channels (1 thru 11) to choose from. In my case, I found that Ch 4, which is in between the typically used channels, gave me the strongest signal and lowest interference, according to the Analyzer App. This channel did reduce the Wi-Fi interference I was getting from my neighbor’s routers. I also did noticed an improvement on my Ring cameras connection speed too.

If you still have issues, re-post here (someone might have another solution), or try searching through the Ring On-line Support, such as: https://support.ring.com/ and then select “Product Support” for your device.

Or you can call Ring Support by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Boone… Thank you so much! I will give these a try and let you know how it goes. It is a Ring 3 device. I just installed it 2 weeks ago and it was fine until Wed morning. Last health check was Tuesday night at 10:28pm. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. I really appreciate it!

1 Like

@Sgtrn

I’ve found many other Ring Neighbors have posted information that has also helped me, so I enjoy ‘paying back’ by possibly helping other Ring Neighbors. You can find additional Ring Articles for your Ring 3 at:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/sections/360007703472-Ring-Video-Doorbell-3

And yes, I would appreciate hearing if any of my suggestions help with your issue, and if you find that it does, I’d appreciate it if you would accept it as a solution (click on the ‘Accepted Solution’ button next to reply). Then later, other people may encounter a similar issue with their Ring devices and they might find this posted thread useful to solve their problem too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Boone,

Ok…I downloaded the wifi analyzer and changed the channel for my 2.4 ghz setting to channel 4 - least amount of traffic. Then I switched most of my devices to 5 ghz to minimize any conflicts. I went down to the ring doorbell and pulled the battery for 30 seconds, as you recommended. Reinstalled it and it worked fine. Live view worked and I am now getting alerts for motion at my front door.

Thanks so much for your help !! Have a great day and stay safe !

1 Like

@Sgtrn wrote:

Hey Boone,

Ok…I downloaded the wifi analyzer and changed the channel for my 2.4 ghz setting to channel 4 - least amount of traffic. Then I switched most of my devices to 5 ghz to minimize any conflicts. I went down to the ring doorbell and pulled the battery for 30 seconds, as you recommended. Reinstalled it and it worked fine. Live view worked and I am now getting alerts for motion at my front door.

Thanks so much for your help !! Have a great day and stay safe !

Hey @Sgtrn that is excellent news! I’m happy for you that your Doorbell is working well! It was my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words. You have a great day too! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like