Neighborhood Facial Recognition and Alerting

I would like to see Ring add facial recognition to its camera software for the purpose of improving neighborhood security and safety, and to aid law enforcement.

As an opt-in service, customers should be able to subscribe to the new Ring Neighbors Public Safety “Facial Recognition and Alerting Service”. As an extension to a customer’s ability to post videos to Ring Neighborhood and share videos with law enforcement, facial recogniction software should then be used to help protect subscribers in the event their cameras identify a person matching the description of a suspicious individual posted by themself or other Ring Neighbors subscribers. When a match is found, Ring should alert the homeowner and alert law enforcement.

This will provide near-realtime identification of suspects across neighborhoods around the U.S. and the world to help keep communities safe, all through automation that exists today.

2 Likes

Facial Recognition should be allowed on ALL Ring doorbells. Speaking on behalf of thousands of blind Americans who use Ring Doorbells in conjunction with Amazon Echo devices, Facial Recognition would help to level the playing field between blind consumers and their sighted peers. When a person is detected by Ring it alerts the owner that a person was detected and the sighted public can simply open up the Ring app and see who it was. Without Facial Recognition a blind consumer can only open the Ring app and hope the person detected makes some kind of sound. Blind consumers already have Facial Recognition available to them on several different apps but not with the Ring app. I implore Ring to allow this feature which I understand already exists within the Ring Development team. Please help to level the playing field for your blind consumers.

1 Like