Multiple Two-step Verification Code Options

Please, please, please. Like a Bank app or other apps, give the user multiple choices on where to send their verification code. I don’t mean during setup when you choose email or text. I mean if I’m logging in when I am home by myself, I need to reach my husband at work to ask him to check his email (or text) and tell me what the code is. If we were to switch it to me we’d have the same problem. Only he’d be finding me to ask the code. When we log in with our bank they ask “where do you want this verification code sent: your email, husband text message, wife text message.” We can choose one of the three options every time we log in. This is the most frustrating aspect of the Ring app. Thank you!

1 Like

@Cap2020 wrote:

Please, please, please. Like a Bank app or other apps, give the user multiple choices on where to send their verification code. I don’t mean during setup when you choose email or text. I mean if I’m logging in when I am home by myself, I need to reach my husband at work to ask him to check his email (or text) and tell me what the code is. If we were to switch it to me we’d have the same problem. Only he’d be finding me to ask the code. When we log in with our bank they ask “where do you want this verification code sent: your email, husband text message, wife text message.” We can choose one of the three options every time we log in. This is the most frustrating aspect of the Ring app. Thank you!

Hello @Cap2020 ,

It sounds like both you and your husband are using the same “Owner” log-in Ring email/password. You can use your own personal email, create a Ring account with that email address, and then your husband can make you a “Shared User” utilizing his Ring app with the “Owner” email account. He can give you access/permission to almost everything in the Owner Ring account (video doorbells, video cameras, alarm system), expect some specific critical settings.

The “Share User” can now make setting changes, like different Alert-Tones/Chirp-Tones, arrange the Ring display the way you like, and have your own personal alarm Keypad 4-digit code, and etc., and all without worry of accidentally modifying/altering critical important setting of the Owner’s App (the ‘master control’ app). It is a good idea to only have one ‘Master App’ running, to prevent inadvertent changes to important settings. My spouse is a Shared User, because she had an knack for accidentally changing critical settings, after I got them ‘tweaked’ just right. LOL :slight_smile: I even created a “Shared User” email account for myself for use on my company mobile phone, and only use my ‘master control’ “Owner” log-in on my personal cellphone Ring App.

1. Create a new Ring account using your email address: ( https://site.ring.com/users/sign_in ) utilizing “Create a New Account.”

2. Main Menu (the 3 horizontal lines upper-left-corner of Dashboard on Owner’s App) > Control Center > Shared Users > select your location “Manage” > tap the blue “Plus sign” icon (lower right-corner) > Add Shared User > enter Your personal email address > Send Invite.

3. Then you’ll get an email "Inviting you to the Owner account. Once you are a Shared User, on the Owner App select your name that is now on the Shared User list, and toggle ON the App Permissions for the Ring devices the Own wants to give you access to.

Now, with your own “Shared User” account for Ring, all Two-Step Verifications ( 2SV ) will come directly to you via email or text message, independent to your husband’s “Owner” account. This way, you no longer that to go through the ‘game of tag’ for contacting him for the ‘Owner’ 2SV.

This is a way to solve your current issue, and I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

I also would prefer more options.
I am a Security Architect for a multinational company so know a bit about this stuff.
SMS messages are no longer secure and have in the last couple of years been exploited in security breaches.

I would recommend a Google Authenticator type app based code gen. I use authy (authy.com) to generate passcodes and both the wife and i have the app and have access to the codes.
This is vastly superior to both Email and SMS which use plain text and are neither encrypted now secure.

Even better an alternative would be for Ring to engage an external vendor, like Trusona, who can provide this service and this vendor is used by several banks to provide password less, yes, no password required but still very SECURE and app based for authentication.

Thanks and please do something to make this a better experience soon.
Russ Dyer, CISSP CRISC CISM

At work I can go to ring.com but we are not allowed to have cell phones or personal email. So two-step login is an issue. I can’t use my ring account while at work because of this. Please allow me to disable two-step login. I really don’t care for that level of login protection for my cameras or doorbell.

Hey neighbors. Over the past year we have been making various efforts to ensure our neighbor’s safety when using their Ring products and services. In an effort to stay in line with industry’s best practices, Ring is phasing out email as a method of account verification as a part of Two-Step Verification, and the options that neighbors have now to log in are the SMS or an Authenticator App. If you are unable to use SMS verification, we recommend using an Authenticator App, which can be installed on a mobile device, PC, or laptop.

This is one of Ring’s update which actually did downgrade of the features. Before, I was able to select “Email” for two factor verification. I was able to get the code via email. Ring removed that option and only text message option is available to receive the code. Many people including myself cannot carry their phones to where they work for reasons. In that case, there’s no way that one can monitor their house. It says to call the customer service to receive a code or to get help. I did numerous times but only response that I get is I can’t log in w/o a phone. That’s a bizarre. Not sure why they removed “email” option telling that’s unsecure? Which one is more unsecure… getting the code via email or not being able to monitor their house? Not sure what they were thinking when they updated or upgraded their features… this is actually downgraded feature…

Hey @ChocoMom. Over the past year we have been making various efforts to ensure our neighbor’s safety when using their Ring products and services. In an effort to stay in line with industry’s best practices, Ring is phasing out email as a method of account verification as a part of Two-Step Verification, and the options that neighbors have now to log in are the SMS or an Authenticator App. If you are unable to use SMS verification, we recommend using an Authenticator App, which can be installed on a mobile device, PC, or laptop.

ChocoMom -

Ring’s current implementation of 2FA is definitely a downgrade. In fact, anyone who is familiar with 2FA methods can presumably list a number of objections/problems associated with Ring’s 2FA strategies.

Marley_Ring -

Obviously, the problems cited by the OP have NOT been solved.

Ring is insisting on LOWERING the privacy/security of customers by forcing an undesirable, sub-standard 2FA implementation on them, as well as trying to ensure that customers have no recourse despite the SERIOUS privacy/security issues involved.

Hey @Frustrated427. We have marked Marley’s post as the solution to the topic so that other neighbors that come into this topic will know the reality of this situation while having the proper resources and information to be able to change their Two-Step Verification to other methods that are available, such as using an Authenticator App. Solutions in the Community pop up first when searched, so this will help neighbors looking for the information find the correct information.

We appreciate your feedback greatly in regards to this and will ensure that it is passed onto the appropriate teams. If you are having any concerns with your privacy or safety of your account, we encourage you to contact our support team directly so that they can help you get in touch with our Safety and Security team who can take a look into your concerns further for your personal situation. Thank you.

I’m surprised that Ring only allows one number on accounts and the Two Step Verification is lacking support for additional numbers and support for email addresses similar to other Two Step Verification systems offered by other companies.

The reason why other systems allow multiple numbers and support for email addresses, is so users won’t be locked out of their account especially if the main phone number tied to an account, gets lost, stolen, or disconnected. Also, allowing email addresses to be used for Two Step Verification, gives users more flexibility to accessing their Ring account and devices no matter the situation or circumstances.

There also needs to be a Skip Verification option for some devices on the Ring website like banks offers. Users shouldn’t have to continue verifying a log in on the same device every single time they need to log in!