Motion sensor

I am wanting to use the motion sensor to be an additional alert device. I already have the motion sensor linked to start recording with the cameras, but it only sends an email to let me know the device has sensed motion. Is there not a way of having it send the push notification and associated alert tone selected for the linked devices?

I was under the impression that I could use the motion sensor as an advance warning. The delay that I have from motion in front of the camera to the push notification to my phone is not as instantaneous as I want it so be. I have tried to log into the camera while a delivery is being made at the front door only to find that the person is already gone. I want the motion sensor to send a push notification like the cameras do so I can be looking at the camera before the person is approaching the camera.

Is this possible?

Hi @Tommy077. You should be able to receive push notifications from your Motion Sensor. In the Ring App, tap the 3 lines in the top left to open the Main Menu > tap Devices > tap your Smart Lighting group > toggle Motion Alerts on. With this toggled on, you should receive push notifications whenever motion is detected. If you do not see this option, please share a screenshot to let us know what options you see on your end.

After looking at it, I am receiving push notifications, but I am not able to change the tone. It comes across as a regular notification and sounds like an email. Is there a way to change the ringtone for that notification? I have two locations that I have ring cameras, and I want certain sounds and in most cases matching sounds so I now which location has motion.

1 Like

Thank you for the update on this, @Tommy077! While you are able to be notified for motion detected by your Smart Lighting devices, there is not a alert tones option at this time. Some Ring devices, such as Doorbells and Cameras will have a Ring App Alert Tones section where you are able to choose from a list of tones. Smart Lighting devices or groups do not contain this option, although there are various integrations options such as linked devices or even Alexa routines that could help here.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile: