Motion Sensor interrupts already-on lights

I have a ring light. If I set it to a schedule that I want it on, OR if I turn it on myself, if there is a motion event, it shuts the light off when the motion event is over.

Is there a way to NOT have motion events turn off the light if it’s already on in the first place?

Not just the light itself, If I have pathlights triggering my Ring Wired Light when motion is detected, it automatically shuts off my light even if it was ON before the motion event occurred.

I still want it triggered by motion events if the light is off. But there needs to be a way to ignore those events if the light is already on.

Hi there, @RRobaldo! It sounds like you have Smart Lighting devices, in which these are often setup in groups, in your Ring app. It’s best to alter group settings, but also to check each individual Smart Light device settings to ensure they are configured to work how you’d like them to. A motion event should only trigger a light, and not turn if off, however, there may be times when a motion triggers your lights and the Smart Light turns off it’s lights after a certain duration of time. In other words, even if you manually toggle your lights on, when a motion triggers, the lights may then shut off after the light duration.

Check out our help center article for more information on optimizing Smart Lighting performance. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Let me clarify some.

I have a RING floodlight on my front porch. If I turn it on (either via alexa, or via Ring app) and it senses motion, it will turn off after the motion is over.

Additionally I also have RING path lights, if they sense motion, they will turn the RING floodlight on, which I want.

However when the path lights no longer sense motion, they will turn the RING floodlight OFF at the same time they shut themselves off, even though it was previously ON.

1 Like

Thank you for that clarification, @RRobaldo! This description matches the Auto-Shutoff Timer setting. In your Smart Lighting Group settings, there will be an option for Light Settings, which is where the Auto-Shutoff Timer can be found. You’ll see a description on the auto-shutoff timer page in the Ring app, indicating that all lights in a group will shutoff after motion is detected. This can be altered, however, to stay on for as long as 5 minutes. Separating groups might be a good method for testing the difference in functionality, although what is currently being experienced is intended for lights in a group.

If you are looking for something different or more settings, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile: