Motion Frequency setting for Hardwired Devices

I am shocked to discover that hardwired devices DO NOT offer the ability to set a motion alert frequency. Apparently only battery powered devices have this feature! PLEASE - We need to be able to set motion alert frequency for ALL devices. I receive 20 alerts while bringing in my groceries. Thank you

There was a frequency setting on wired but its been removed.

When people hang around for a chat at the front door it would be useful if wired users had the same facility as battery users and be able to use motion frequency to prevent constant announcements.

I’m new to Ring, and I would like to think I am tech savvy. I have already contacted the chat support to discuss, with an un satisfying answer. I have what i believe to be the most current version of the app on an iPhone and iPad.

I think it would be advantageous to be able to set a motion trigger delay for powered or unpowered doorbell cameras.

There do not appear to be Motion Frequency Settings for non-battery doorbell cameras. I found documentation showing that there are Frequency settings, but is seems the primary focus is on battery saving, not nuisance notifications. If I am out mowing the lawn, or shovelling snow off the sidewalks, I am notified many, many times.

Support sez to turn off notifications when I know I will be out there, and then turn them back on when I am done. This does not seem like “automation” to me. If the feature is available for battery doorbell cameras, why is it not available for wired doorbell cameras to reduce nuisance notifications. Seems pretty trivial to implement.

I have noticed that when notified of motion, if i press the notification on my phone and hold, I will get two options to delay notifications - 30 min and 2 hours. Again, this does not seem very “automation” to me, and unfriendly to my fingers at -40c shovelling snow.

1 Like

The wired devices are always recording and look for changes in the image itself to determine if there is motion. The battery devices use a PIR sensor to determine if there is motion, then turn on the camera to record and then determine if there is a person detected, etc. The reason for the different motion frequency settings is to balance battery life versus how often the camera will detect motion. Frequently means that the PIR sensor is always active and therefore will have the most battery drain. The other settings power down the PIR sensor for specific intervals after motion is detected to prolong battery life but at the cost of possibly missing additional motion events. This is not a concern with the wired device since it does not rely on battery power and is always active.

I would suggest snoozing motion prior to going outside. At the upper-right corner of the main app screen there’s an icon that looks like a moon with some lines coming out of the right side. If you tap on that you can snooze all of your cameras for a predetermined time, up to 12 hours currently with the most recent iOS app update (not sure if the Android app has been updated to the same).

@pdeethardt, thank-you for your reply.

I understand why the delay is there for the battery operated devices (save battery - as described in the ring documentation), adding a technical description does not help. I think you missed the key element of the post - nuisance notifications. If I have to monitor my family for when they might be in front of a camera device for an extended period to delay notifications, that is as much a nuisance as the many notifications received if I do nothing. If I’m in a meeting and start to get a bunch of notifications due to lawn mowing, now i have the nuisance of an interrupted meeting. There are numerous occasions when it would be beneficial to have the delay.

I found your suggestion (“moon” button), as well as the ability to tap-hold the notification and add a notification delay prior to my investigation. This is still not the issue. These are ad-hoc mitigations, not solutions.

Depleted batteries are a nuisance, as are too many notifications, why cannot all cameras have the delay option. Let me decide if i want to use the feature or not.

To summarize, there are options to ad-hoc delay the notifications for powered camera devices, but not “settings” options for a dedicated solution. There is a dedicated “setting” option to delay battery powered camera device - just add that option to powered camera devices.

1 Like

I feel like we and our point are being ignored by Ring.

1 Like

This is a feature request to add a setting in the app to reduce the number of motion alerts I get when something repetitive is happening outside my house, i.e. I am working on my car in the driveway or someone is mowing the lawn.

When someone passes by the floodlight cam in front of my house when they are mowing the lawn, for example, I get 30 notifications to my phone in a 30 minute period…one every single minute. This is obnoxious, and it is also obnoxious that Ring Support’s only remedy is “oh well then open up the app and snooze your motion alerts for a set period of time!”

I don’t want to have to open my app and physically snooze alerts, that is what I would call an inconvenience. As I understand it, the feature already exists for your battery powered models to reduce repetitive motion alerts within a short period of time in order to conserve battery.

Why can’t you add a feature to only send one motion alert within a set period of time that you can edit? “I only want one push notification every 10 mins, etc…” so that my phone doesn’t ring for 30 minutes straight when some kid is mowing the lawn.

Ok so now I am out riding my motorcycle and I have my phone connected to my Bluetooth speaker on my bike and as I’m listening to music, my music keeps cutting out every 60 seconds while my wife is in the front yard gardening. I have to PULL OVER on my MOTORCYCLE on the HIGHWAY to snooze my notifications because Ring can’t be bothered to have product engineers who think about simple human factors issues when designing their user interface. What a shame, I wish I could make $500,000 a year as a software engineer to be incompetent.