Motion detection zones have been reduced in size and no longer match live view

Had something stolen from my driveway. I got proof from screenshot capture, but because of the reduced zone for motion detection, I do not have video evidence.

It is my opinion that the intentional reduction in motion zones is an underhanded tactic to save server space. A cost-cutting method at the expense of their customers.

These are security cameras, and this update has cost users/customers that security.

1 Like

It is time to switch to other products. Ring has no intention of doing right by their customer base.

They are not loyal to their customers. So, we should not be loyal to them.

I would have proof of theft if not for this change. I setup the cameras & thoroughly tested the zone. After an update, this motion zone was changed to be around 60% of the cameras field of view.

Many of my cameras have only just made this change, with some receiving this update today.

I am wholly disappointed with ring. I have spent thousands, as the products were previously reliable. Now, I have lost stuff from a thief, and I do not have video proof to make an insurance claim or for police to take action.

I will be researching competition & likely going to standard DVR products.

Ring has become a sub-par product.

1 Like

It is exactly that. Can you imagine how many millions of Terabytes (Petabytes even) of storage space are required for all stick up cams and ring doorbells, globally. Now think of all those motion events that would previously have been detected (and recorded) that are no longer within the motion detection zone. The potentially saving in the total amount of server space (and projected growth) could be massive. I would have preferred Ring to introduce a data retention policy (i.e. after 6 months the footage is deleted) or modest increase to the annual subscription costs, rather than reduce the capability of all of my devices to the point where they are almost useless.

1 Like

These are my thoughts precisely.

I pay extra to have my videos saved and right now it’s not worth it. Ring’s lack of response is very telling after modifying the original app with this crop zone that won’t cover anything not even my front door. No matter how many customer representatives here keep saying “That’s the feature that came with it” that’s not true. When I bought all my floodcams plus the main ring camera it would trigger movement from far almost the size of what we see on view. The worst part is thieves know it we have a gang creating havoc where I live. Right now I can only see one car in my driveway! Pretty pathetic so im done with Ring and will be purchasing another brand. Now can anyone recommend something else?