Motion detection zones have been reduced in size and no longer match live view

Hi @MarkB2908. I understand your concern and frustration with these changes. The original “full view” of the Motion Zones accurately reflected Motion Detection at that time. Since then, numerous improvements have been made to Motion Detection, including our Advanced Motion Detection and Birds Eye View, so the new Motion Zones accurately represent the current Motion Detection technology that we use in Ring devices. The “reduced zone” that you see as “missing” didn’t accurately detect motion in that zone, which is why it was “reduced”. As I explained earlier, when a device is mounted at the proper height and angle, the area on the top of the screen either shows the sky (not designed to detect motion in the sky) or an area that is beyond 30 ft (outside of the motion detection range). If you are having issues with your current device and motion detection, feel free to create a new post, outlined the details in your motion settings, device placement and a screenshot of what your device sees, so we can work together to optimize your motion detection. Thank you for your feedback on this concern.

You say the extra are detects either sky or areas too far away. This is incorrect in my situation. I have the ring camera set just under my eave of garage set to capture our short sloped drive way. It is angled down to capture the ground at the garage door and the top of the screen captures anyone attempting to walk down our driveway. Neither sky or the distance you have advised.
Now with your change this is not possible because the area of detection has been greatly reduced.
Again this seems poor form and a reduction in ability of the camera we purchased. We used to capture people walking past our driveway. NOW WE DONT !

3 Likes

Hi @Graysa23. Again, as mentioned before, motion detection goes hand in hand with proper mounting and positioning. You can learn more about this here. Angling that camera may give you a “better view”, but this has the cost of reduced capability in motion detection.

My camera’s are also in an ‘elevated’ position and point downward slightly (in order to prevent tampering). This is not an unusual position for security cameras.

[1] Are you saying that Ring camera’s should not be mounted this way ? and if so why is this not made clear in product advertising ?
[2] the ‘reduced’ capability in motion detection (that you are actually confirming in your post above) is something that RING has introduced via a firmware update (I know this with absolute certainty because the issues with motion detection zones was not prevalent when I first purchased these cameras). So please tell me, why have Ring done this ?

2 Likes

Motion zone now limited to bottom 2/3 of view … :frowning: when mounted per recommendation (9 feet). Too many passing car alerts for the ring server?

1 Like

I am having this exact issue too! I purchased 4 stick up cameras about 3 wks ago and they all worked fine. I had the ability to change the default zone to capture almost as much as the live view did. All of a sudden, a couple days ago, I can’t see anything past15 ft from my garage and it’s like you mentioned, only the bottom 1/3 or so of the entire view that I can adjust. I spent a good amount of time researching security cameras and this change is definitely not made clear in their advertising. This negatively changes my opinion on the usefulness of this camera. I’m very disappointed with this change. As for the Ring Rep who keeps posting the exact same useless answer on every post, that is NOT HELPFUL!!! FIX IT!!!

3 Likes

This issue is very frustrating. The Motion Detection setting zone should be made to be the same size as the Live View.
I found out that in Wired mode setting, the Motion Detection zone is the same size as the Live View.
However when the Stick Up Cam is operated in Battery mode, the Motion Detection zone is made smaller than the Live View. The upper and lower parts of the Live View screen have been trimmed off. Ring must have updated the software to made the battery mode last longer or something, but not tell anyone about this change.
Ring needs to fix this issue, no other CCTV cameras do this. The Motion Detection zone need to be the same size as the Live View.

3 Likes

I would say that it is more than disgraceful, it is approaching fraud. They have removed the very feature that was the reason for purchasing the Ring cameras. They should refund our money. The cameras are virtually worthless now. Additionally, where this restriction on recording distance was first only on the wireless cameras, I now see that the wired cameras have a much smaller recording area.

I would never recommend Ring products to anyone now.

3 Likes

Please can we have a formal explanation from RING regarding why they have made this change, and why StickUp camera’s are no longer performing to the same specification as they were at the time of purchase and why they are no longer fit for purpose ?

1 Like

Please can we have a formal explanation from RING regarding why they have made this change, why StickUp camera’s are no longer performing to the same specification as they were at the time of purchase and why they are no longer fit for purpose ?

1 Like

It seems like RING are deliberately not responding hoping that this thread will gain automatic closure after no replies for 1 month. This is really frustrating, and as has been spelled out previously, reduces the capability of the camera from when it was originally purchased, which i am sure would not be acceptable in anyone’s eyes.

See attached Ring Camera view which I used to be able to set detection zone to cover the full view and works fine for what it was. Second is the revised detection Zone availability.

I will say since the reduced detection zone we have had someone tamper with a fire cracker at our letter box (right at the end of the hedge at rear of car) and it was not picked up on the camera as a result until the cracker actually went off. Extremely annoyed at RING reducing the capability of a product from that which it was originally sold.

Also attached images of our doorbell ring zones and the beginning of when our camera started recording a delivery. Not until the guys was at the door. Seriously how do you not see or start recording as he is walking down the driveway. The other cam didn’t start recoding until hallway down our drive because of the reduced zone.

Almost at a point where we need to ditch the whole ring set up and go somewhere else.

2 Likes

It seems like RING are deliberately not responding hoping that this thread will gain automatic closure after no replies for 1 month. This is really frustrating, and as has been spelled out previously, reduces the capability of the camera from when it was originally purchased, which i am sure would not be acceptable in anyone’s eyes.

2 Likes

User: Graysa23, I also experienced the cropped Motion Zone View vs Live View issue today, especially with 2 of my 3 active Spotlight Plus Cameras. When I called they said they recently put out an update that is showing a more “accurate” view of the camera’s motion capabilities.

The problem is, the customised motion zones we’ve edited (like your Zone 1) are still the same. So when showing a cropped version and keeping our previously customised motion zones they’ve made our cameras less sensitive as they’re using an outdated custom motion zone!

They never even notified us that it happened so many people may not realise that their camera is detecting even less motion until it’s too late.

Also, my 3rd camera that was inactive, did not have this cropped motion sensitivity update for like 2 hours until they also detected it and changed to a cropped snapshot.

Finally, if you compared what the entire cropped snapshot is now, to what the DEFAULT camera motion zone was, when you took it out of the box in the past, it’s the same. So this whole time, the default zone, must have been the maximum motion detection it allowed, but they included the uncropped live view snapshot to make us feel like it could detect stuff up there.

Ring really needs to notify all customers that now have a cropped view. These are cameras set up in vulnerable areas. If we’re being honest, this issue could cost customers their lives.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Are we any closer to receiving an adequate response/explanation from RING ?

The reduced motion detection zone absolutely blows. I have 5 stickups and will be putting them all on eBay

2 Likes

I would like a simple answer to a simple question so that I can get on with my life:

Will this be addressed?

Hi @Calib. This has been addressed in the marked solution for this post.

sorry @Tom_Ring but this issue has been ignored. It certainly has NOT been addressed. Not in the slightest. The motion detection zones have been reduced in size. The product which I purchased is no longer the same specification that it was at the time of purchase. My camera’s are in a slightly elevated position (as per RING recommendations) and the top 1/3rd of the captured image is no longer an active area of motion detection (which it used to be). This is a change that RING have introduced via a firmware update. The outright blank refusal (by RING) to acknowledge and then correct / reverse this is an absolute disgrace !!! Please do not say that this issue has been addressed. Far from it.