Mobile fallback with custom sim card

I am staying in Thailand which does not allow me to get any protect plan / monitoring subscription. I am therefore using self monitoring only which is fine.

However it would be nice to make use of the mobile data fallback if the cable internet goes offline. My question: Can I put any Thai prepaid sim card into the base station and have it switch automatically to 4G when cable internet disconnects?

The Ring Alarm system is designed specifically for the region it is sold, or shipped to. We do not advise using Ring Alarm in an unintended region. Availability is best checked at Ring.com, or even here at the country selector page on Ring.com. It looks like the US, Canada, and EU regions are supported, at this time.

1 Like

Well, if Thai people only did what they are advised to do or use what was designed for them they’d probably still be living in caves.

Anyway, I feel you didn’t answer my question. My question was: “Can I put any prepaid sim card into the base station and have it switch automatically to 4G when cable internet disconnects [or does this require a monitoring subscription]?”

As nobody here seems to be able or willing to provide an answer I just tried it out myself. Result: Custom SIM cards cannot be used. Disappointing.
I will therefore use a cellular failover device for my entire wifi network.

I don’t have answer for you, but I’m wanting to take my ring cameras to Thailand. Is there any way to save video recording? I gather from your post that you can only view cameras live and not record to your subscription.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.