Missing Feature : Actuating Ring with existing doorbell button

I just installed the “top of the line” Ring Elite". I live in in a multiunit building. All doorbells are in same location. There is not a place to mount the Ring unit to be a practical replacement for the existing doorbell button. I ran a line from chime terminals on Ring Elite unit to each side of exiting door bell button. The existing chime does indeed actuate when button on Ring unit is pressed.

I assumed that Ring would detect the drop in voltage when the exiting doorbell button was pressed and actuate so I could get an alert when I was not home that someone had pressed my bell. Per phone technical support the lead connection terminals on Elite can only actuate the chime and not allow for use of exiting doorbell button to actuate the Ring unit.

I do not want an alert sent each time another resident in my building walks by.

Lacking this feature the Ring Elite does not provide functionality beyond my exiting security camera which can also send motion alerts to my phone and provide two way audio. I will probably return the Ring Elite for a refund and hope this deficiency is addressed in future product from Ring or another manufacturer. Best solution would probably be a second set of terminals for existing button in addition to terminal set for wire to existing chime.

Allowing customers to continue to use their exiting doorbell button while getting the features of Ring technology seems like something obvious desirable in a future product.

A hybrid system is an interesting idea. I had difficulty getting a good view with my ring perpendicular to the doorway and stuffed some tubing under it to tilt it., and other locations might be better. Also, I never get to see who’s at the door until they have left with the delay. If they walked past the motion detector and then press the bell it would be better.

But you would have to have a wire from the ring to the doorbell as well. Or to the doorbell switch. The have extra wiring makes it impractical. But it would be a trivial matter for the ring to detect a parallel button.

1 Like

This looks like a thread that can answer my problem. New user (no Ring purchased yet). I have an old house with an antique brass push button doorbell connected to an electric bell via low voltage cables in the UK. I want to keep the existing push button and install a Ring doorbell above with either being pressed to trigger a bell or chime and the Ring doorbell as well. My only requirement is to keep the existing brass push button as I can replace everything behind if needed, but would like to connect it to a Ring product.
Can anyone give me a simple guide if it is possible please?