Mailbox Sensor on Brick Mailbox tip

I have installed 2 mailbox sensors on 2 different mailboxes at 2 different locations. I experienced poor connectivity between the bridge and the mailbox sensor. The connection was almost always poor and it was not uncommon to have the connection drop from time to time. I installed the mailbox sensor and antenna exactly as the instructions had indicated. I moved the bridge around to try and increase the signal. Nothing worked well. So, I drilled a hole through the back of the brick mailbox and mounted the external antenna on the back of the mailbox. The antenna now faces the house. I mounted the mailbox sensor onto the inside of the back of the mailbox so that it faces the inside of the mailbox door and connected to the antenna wire that I ran through the hole I drilled into the back of the mailbox. My signal when from poor to good.

I had to purchase a 1/2 inch masonry drill bit and drilled between the mortar. It took about 15-20 mins to drill the hole.

I believe the antenna aimed directly at the house, where the bridge is located, makes all of the difference in the world.

Just thought I would share my experience with others since I could not find any help or information on my particular issue with brick mailboxes.

3 Likes

Hi @DougPut. Thanks for sharing!

How long is the tether between the 2 sensor pieces?

The wire is about 12 inches between the motion detector and the antenna. More than enough to go through the mailbox and the brick.

2 Likes

Did putting the black tape on the antenna diminish the signal at all?

Thanksā€¦Dan

Iā€™m having the same problem. Where you mounted the sensor, is it in a stationary place, like the back wall of the mailbox? So, the sensor unit does not have to move, it gets motion from ā€˜seeingā€™ the door open and mail shoved in?

I had the opposite experience. I have a metal mailbox about 100ā€™ from the house. I have the ring bridge in a window facing the mailbox, with perfect line of sight. With the sensorā€™s internal antenna I had ā€œfairā€ signal. I decided to add the external antenna, with the broad side of it facing the bride. Now my signal is ā€œpoorā€, and drops constantly. I have the sensor switch in the external antenna position. Apparently the internal antenna is better than the external one. Now I have a hole in my mailbox, for absolutely no reason, because Iā€™ve had to switch it back to the internal antenna.

I have had the opposite experience. I also installed my mailbox sensor on the interior back of the mailbox and ran the antenna through my brick pillar, so the black piece is facing my house. It worked fine for a few months, and then I started to receive false notifications. In discussing this issue with tech-support, I was told that the brick pillar interferes with the signal and therefore will not function properly. My signal to the bridge indicates that it is good. My signal from the bridge to the Wi-Fi is also good.

Does anybody have any ideas of how I can get my sensor to operate properly?

Hi @user45003. When you mention false notifications, are you referring to your Mailbox Sensor detecting motion with no obvious cause?