Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
D
Mailbox Sensor Battery and solar panel to charge it
solar-panel
mailbox-sensor
product-request
When is Ring going to get with the times and offer a solar panel powered mailbox sensor? So sick of changing the batteries every 3-4 weeks. If there is one on the market, please let me know.

27-10-2022 08:54:13

Responses (9)

R
I second. I'm in Atlanta, GA. In winter low goes below/around 32F fairly regularly, then set of new batteries dies within a month easily. Over Summer, battery lasts a bit longer, but still less than 3 months (because I'm sick of frequently change I'm taking a note, so these are fairly accurate observation of our experience). I do like this mailbox sensor-trigger feature, it gives good peace of mind. That said AAA x 3 x 12 = AAA x 36 (depending on a deal you find, it's easily beyond $20 at minimum) in a year is a bit costly operation.

08-01-2023 02:00:08

R
Battery life Stinks and is the actual worse device yet I've seen Ring make. They do need to make a solar panel with range extender built in so you can use rechargable batteries. I'm also tired of changing out the batteries every 3-4 weeks which is just crazy. The unit dies if it drops below 1.38vdc which is high in my opinion. Should be able to at leat get down to 1.2v and then die. Question is when is the next FW update to fix or a new improved model of the sensor???

26-02-2023 11:10:03

R
The battery life on the Ring Mailbox Sensor really needs a revamp to the unit OR needs a solar panel that has the Antenna extender built into the one unit. This way you get the extender as well as a way to put in rechargeable AAA batteries inside. Also when the battery get low and your away from home it can drive you NUTS when the device keeps going Online/Offline every 1-3 mins. We need a way to deactivate this so it doesn't alert our phones/devices as I have to Remove the sensor till I can get back home and change the batteries. Which is a once a MONTH occurrence. That's unacceptable.

17-04-2023 05:41:44

D
I guess Ring does not pay attention to their customers on here. Still waiting for their solution. Now the external antenna wire has broken off due to having to change the freaking batteries all of the time.

08-06-2023 06:24:48

J
I got fed up with changing the batteries every few months and having the device be dead for a while because the app won’t tell me when the battery dies (at least a push notification would be useful there), so I created my own solution for solar charging it and it works surprisingly well. I’m just using a single 18650 cell connected to a solar charge controller and a 5v solar panel with a USB output. The interface to the sensor is just one of those cheap USB AAA battery replacement things from Amazon with the connector cut off and soldered to the charge controller. When I first installed it the app reported 63% charge and by the end of the day it reported 82% so it is indeed working. My sensor is mounted to the back wall of the mailbox rather than the lid. Get creative. ![IMG_3647|564x500](upload://1UU2loUxfSDcQdPjNqwqONsWbdl.jpeg)

17-06-2023 07:18:38

M
I also converted mine to solar using a flagpole light from menards. It is working great and will see how long it lasts. https://photos.app.goo.gl/asZijt9RgamAMebs7 ![IMG_3303|375x500](upload://ryEKq0SaoFzvC2Bcu5q2QPmu4zn.jpeg)

19-06-2023 02:59:01

KD

Does the ring u it run on 1.5v or 3 v? How did you solve the issue of disipating the excess energy after the batteries are at full charge? Sorry for my probably simple questions, I am a mechanical engineer that works on steel weldments. I don’t know much about electrical systems.

05-05-2024 04:52:31

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User