Live View Time Out Setting For Echo Show - Reduce

I currently have all my Ring Camera’s generate a Live View on my Echo Show when motion is detected. That Live View remains persistent on my Echo Show for the 10 minute default. This is killing my broad band usage . . Is it possible to reduce the time out to a value less than 10 minutes (say 2 or 3 at most)?

3 Likes

Hi @pjschwartz. You cannot change the 10-minute default time. You will have to manually end the Live Views. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you made in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors who come to this thread can easily find your feature!

1 Like

Some of the programming in the Echo Show and Alexa app seem downright counterintuitive.
Having the Live View remain active for 10 minutes under normal circumstances completely ignores the real world in which bandwidth is important and in many cases there are costs involved in excessive bandwidth usage. Clearly, the OP is correct and this needs to be addressed. This should be an option with example choices of 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes at the discretion and choice of the user.

Another consideration is that during this time with live view, wifi bandwidth will become a problem for every other device on that wifi network unless there is some seriously good wifi equipment in use. The average person will not have.

Please consider integrating this into an update asap.

Killing live view after ten minutes under normal circumstances completely ignores the real world where one is viewing the cameras via a LAN and where bandwidth consumption may not matter at all, and the software should be smart enough to know that they’re on the same subnet and segment and transfer the live feed locally via RTSP locally rather than doing the round trip to the AmazRing network and back. In other words, if it’s timing out because it always insists upon the round trip rather than being smart about it and deciding to stream locally via RTSP, it’s implemented incorrectly and very stupidly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.