Live view continuous viewing

I’d like to add that this feature should not be limited to just a phone app. The Windows app needs it too, and it’s arguably worse. You don’t get 10 minutes, you only get like 30 seconds.

1 Like

Another vote here to fix this issue and extend LIVE view to continuous.
It’s really absurd not to have this option, especially for paying the subscription. It’s very frustrating and I’m about to cancel my subscription and go with a completely different camera system.

Please listen to your customers, Ring!!

And just to rub salt in to the wound, I too am having the same LIVE view 40 second timeout issue recently as others using the Win10 app. Just all of a sudden AFTER I paid for the Ring subscription…wtf?? Totally lost even the 10 minutes it used to have. Completely useless when you’re away from home only to get get timed out in seconds.

BUT…here is a work around for it. -
Install BlueStacks which is an Android Emulator for PC and Mac. It’s safe and free. https://www.bluestacks.com and download the Ring app from the Google play store from there just as you would for mobile, and use that for your PC. You’ll have all the same features on your PC just as you would with the Ring app on your phone (it’s the same app). The Win10 app is junk now and very limited in what you can do anyhow. At least I got the 10 minute LIVE view back again. :roll_eyes:

I hope this helps anyone with this ridiculous issue!!

1 Like

They are clearly trying to deal with two issues. The first is to keep their bandwith costs reasonable (seems like they bounce all the video off their servers). The obvious solution to that would be allowing for a direct connection between the viewing client and the camera, but that challenges their second issue which is to keep the most valuable features of the camera locked up through a monthly fee. That said, I don’t see any reason why they can’t simply charge you to use the camera over a lan. Yes, it is bad PR to charge you for no reason, but it is worse PR to ■■■■■■■ the devices simply to avoid such PR. Technically it should be very easy as they are (hopefully) encrypting the data coming out of the camera anyway, all they need to do is make sure you are a paying customer before giving your viewing client a temporary decryption key. Of course this would need to be disabled on battery and solar powered devices, but, as Ring may forget, they sell a lot of wired devices. Ring produces an acceptable product for renters or others in temporary setups as it is very quick and easy to setup without drilling a single hole and no need for any “programming”. However, it is not for a serious “smarthome” as it locks its owners out of some very basic and important features. It also isn’t price compeitive if you want a lot of cameras as, for their cheapest POE camera (the type you would use in a newly constructed or renovated smarthome) is about 4 times the price of what a generic POE camera would cost (one that would allow full access to the video feeds). If you buy one camrea, an extra $150 may not be a big deal, but if you buy 10, it is (even after their volume discounts). And one camera without live view is bad enough. 10 locked down cameras? Check out Blue Iris, Home Assistant, etc. for that type of project.

2 Likes

Woops, didn’t think about the fact that a word that describes reducing the functionality of a device is also a derogatory term for people with physical impairments. My apologies. Please feel free to edit my post from “worse PR to XXXX the devices” to “worse PR to impair the devices”. Or anyone know of a word that describes reduced functionality for a device that also doesn’t describe reduced abilities of a person?

1 Like

I bought the camera specifically for a live view and communication to the front door. If it does not provide a continuous live view you should make people aware of this on your packaging. Do you intend to correct this or should I return the floodlight camera?

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Live View will automatically timeout after it has been up for 10 minutes. This means that the Live View cannot be kept up continuously, or for longer than 10 minutes at a time. You are free to access the Live View again after it has timed out, but it will not be continuous. With that said, other neighbors have shared their feedback on this and created a post in our Feature Request board. You can find the feature request for continuous Live View here and comment on it as well as upvote it. The Feature Request board helps us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to assume there is an engineering reason for this limitation. As a Cyber Security Professional and computer/software engineer, I am not thinking of a reason. Can you please explain why constant monitoring is not an option? It is my professional opinion that you cannot call it a security camera if there is no option to have someone constantly monitor it. Would your hardware be able to be monitored by other software, such as CompleteView?

I am considering expanding the system at my home. I want to know if it will be worth my money to stick with the Ring system, or better to go with something else.

4 Likes

Have they resolved this yet???

2 Likes

I will not be recommending RING until this issue is resolved.

C’mon RING get with it.

2 Likes

This request of permanent live monitoring has been active for some time now.
Is RING doing anything about it?
I need monitoring for more than 10 minutes at a time.

2 Likes

Come on Ring
Good grief you can see everyone is asking for continuous viewing and not just 10 mins or even 30 secs
NEST doorbells and cameras have no issues with streaming for however long you want
And you can get a camera off Amazon that works in the cloud for £20 to stream constantly
Are you servers that small that you cannot support this?
It’s ridiculous!!! And you really need to rethink your strategy on this as you are not giving customers what they want
Very bad way to run a business

2 Likes

I would LOVE to be able to turn on my “powered” (not battery) Ring Cameras and let them stream for much longer than 10 min. Often, I’m waiting for someone or otherwise want to view a situation for longer than 10 min.

I do NOT need the “long” views retained at all.

But, right now, I can’t even get the camera to stream for more than a handful of seconds. smh

2 Likes

I think Ring should honor this request and give us live viewing without the timeout feature. You could even make it an option to turn it on constant or timeout mode. I have a lot of ring devices, please act on this request.

2 Likes

Hi Neighbors! Thank you for your continued feedback on this Continuous Live View Feature Request. As an update, this is not a feature at this time. The current Feature Request for this can be found here. :smiley:

@Tom_Ring

Thanks for the information. Has Ring mentioned any reasons why they do not want to add this feature which has been on the Feature Request Board for over a year? (In the forums as regular requests for over 3 years)

Many people would like to see this feature or understand why the feature will not be added. Many competitor cameras have decided that more than 10 minutes of Live View is very important and they have granted this feature to their customer base.

Feature Request for Live View:

https://community.ring.com/t/extend-the-length-of-live-view/4507

1 Like

@Tom_Ring
On October 25, 2018, I received an email via which Ring announced that a 24/7 recording feature would be coming in the Spring of 2019 - see attached image downloaded from that email. The feature never arrived. Does anyone know what became of it?

2 Likes

We definitely need the ability to keep the live view on. We are using the doorbell for a medical clinic that has a locked door and we have visitors in and out. I need to be able to communicate with people prior to them entering the building. I understand having a time out feature to avoid unnecessarily leaving the device on but it should be an OPTION, not a default.

2 Likes

Hi Ring team. I need to have continuous live viewing as adverstised. It DOES NOT need to be recording during that time, I just need to see the camera all night for my baby’s bed during the night.
Can we have the App development team look at this ASAP??
I see this has been asked over a year and half ago. What’s the problem??

2 Likes

Hi @HawaiianDude. Currently, the ability to record continuously (24/7) is not available. The team is working to bring this feature to customers in the future and we appreciate your patience while we work to bring this to customers. We encourage all neighbors in this thread and among our Feature Request Board to continue to advocate for the want of this feature, and feel free to share the main Feature Request for this topic here with other neighbors that want to upvote it as well. Thank you, neighbors!

1 Like

So a feature advertised for spring of 2019 is still unavailable for summer 2021?

5 Likes