Linked Devices and Light Grouping/Scheduling for Z-Wave Works With Ring light switches

I would like to have my Ring doorbell be able to turn on lights via a switch

1. Front doorbell turn on the front porch lights and walkway floodlights

2. Rear doorbell turn on rear lights

when motion is detected or someone rings the door. Otherwise the only use of the z-wave bridge is be able to manually toggle the lights, which is available now, but low on the list of features.

1 Like

Would also like the motion sensor that comes with the alarm also be able to control the light switchs.

I would like to be able to use the zwave bridge as a smart home hub, you are 90% there with the app already

2 Likes

Would also like to be able to link zwave switches together to control one another (turn off one switch and it turns off the other. I.e. virtual 3-way setup). Haven’t found a way to do this yet but the hub should be able to do this.

Would like to link switches to motion on ring doorbell. I get asked for this often.

Currently, adding a GE Zwave switch shows up under Dashboard → Alarm shortcut → Lights. It would be nice to have them under Dashboard → Lights shortcut, that way they could be added to a light group. A direct icon for each light on the dashboard would be a good alternative.

1 Like

I have added a Levitron light switch(Zwave) to our Ring system. I have given it an assigned category as “Lights” per Rings setup UI for “Works with Ring”. The device shows up as a “Light” under Alarm device list and is controllable only through the Alarm device list. Why does it not show up under the “Lights” list under the Dashboard menu? Apparently ONLY “Ring” (branded) lights are displayed there that are integrated with the Ring cameras or part of a bridged Ring light group.

If I want all “Lights” on, there is no way to do that with the button on the “Lights” page of the dashboard… How about a UI change that allows ALL “categorized” LIGHTS (including those that are “Works with Ring” compliant to be switched on?
*This would dramatically improve the Alarm features when triggered .
Great topic…Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in, this needs to become more visible so our “Works with Ring” devices are treated on an equal footing as the Ring devices themselves instead of being buried down through multiple menus and clicks, rendering them much less likely to be used. I am not going to rewire all the smartswitches in my house, no way!

While the Ring app does not do this, it is possible to do exactly this using the Alexa app with ring-connected Zwave devices.

1 Like

I assume these light switches are hooked up to the RING hub only? ie no independent zwave hub? Can you do basic zwave light programing (ie on at dawn, off at noon) via the Ring APP and hub, or is addition software or hardware needed?

Exact same here. I wanted the GE plug to also be controllable directly from dashboard and, available during cellular backup. If so, I’ll be able to use the plug to reboot my router and that usually fixes 1/2 of the temporary outages.

1 Like

I wish I could link zwave light switch to video doorbell and ring bridge. That way I can turn on some lights when motion is detected.

Hello
Did you ever figure out how to do this, I can get the switch connected with the main unit but I can’t get the cameras motion to turn it on. If it was on the bridge no problem click and done. Makes no sense why this cannot be programed in???
Keith

Also looking for this feature. The switch is recognized as a light that can be turned off and on and the ring flood lights have a schedule and dusk/dawn feature. I can’t imagine this would be terribly difficult to implement. Please add this feature.

I unfortunately just switched my “Works with Ring” Zwave devices to home assistant on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the Zooz Z-wave adapter. Not happy about it, but that’s how branding works I guess. It’s working ok so far, but impossible to integrate with ring camera motion and light triggers due to lack of ring having a public api, and 3rd party options to get data from ring systems have 2 minute delay with their reverse engineered home grown apis. If there were Zwave schedules available for any Zwave device in ring, then it’s pretty much gold. But, right now it is falling flat and there is almost no point to having a smart light at all without a schedule or trigger in place. Thankfully there are gap fill options, but none that really work with ring for good event response (I.E 2 minute delay).

I’m going to try moving some of those ring Zwave motion detectors to my other system for motion activated light schedules. Shame shame, but it is supposedly just Z-wave, so it should work.

Just going to start switching everything from cloud to local other than video recording until Ring has a solution to this. Over $2,000 invested in Ring, so I hope they have something for this soon.

It would be really useful to allow Z-wave switches controlled under the Alarm section to be used as linked devices . A MyQ garage opener could trigger a switch so that lights are turned on after dark when you walk out of the garage. A path light could also trigger a sconce itself controlled by a zwave switch.

All those devices could easily work together. Light schedules would also enrich this functionality.

Same here. Installed a “Works with Ring” Z-Wave Light Switch for lights on the front of my house. Ring Alarm can’t program them. I was able to schedule them through Alexa/Echo Dot. But now I have added the Ring Bridge and Ring Pathlights with motion detection and there is no way to connect the two systems within the Ring app. I’d like to tie in my existing Z-Wave switch to the motion detection of the pathlights, but can’t.

1 Like

I’d like to chime in on this topic too.

In another thread I asked about activating my built-in, non-Ring, non-smart, plain old front porch lights when my Ring doorbell detects motion. I knew I’d have to install a Z-wave switch to replace the light switch for the porch lights, but was disappointed that merely doing that alone wasn’t enough to work with my other Ring devices.

I was told I needed a Ring alarm system and a Ring Bridge. I was annoyed that all of that stuff was needed to get the simply functionality of a motion-sensing light, but I gave in and bought the extra hardware, even though I wasn’t interested in the alarm and security features.

Now I’ve done that, yet it STILL ISN’T ENOUGH! As others have mentioned, all I got for the extra money and effort was the ability to manually toggle the front porch lights on and off in the Ring app via Alarm Base Station > Lights. The light I’ve added this way doesn’t come up as a device I can link to my doorbell.

WHY NOT!?!?

1 Like

Yes this is a MASSIVE oversight in usability. Vivint has this, ADT has this, most other systems in fact.

Please allow groups for zwave devices (plugs / switches) and shortcuts for groups and individual device control.

Also, provide the ability to schedule on / off for switches and plugs, and include the ability to turn on / off when armed / disarmed or when an alarm sounds.

Yes this is a MASSIVE oversight in usability. Vivint has this, ADT has this, most other systems in fact. No one wants to dive through menu after menu just to turn on or off a light or a plug.

Please allow groups for zwave devices (plugs / switches) and shortcuts for groups and individual device control.

Also, provide the ability to schedule on / off for switches and plugs, and include the ability to turn on / off when armed / disarmed or when an alarm sounds.

Obviously the base functionality exists in the app, please make this work.

I switched from ADT to join ring because I liked the z-wave ability and similarities of the apps. The ADT app is beyond excellent… I was able to control everything on one screen. Anything I added was able to be controlled, scheduled and customized. This is not the case at all with ring. What I do not understand is why when you link a “works with ring” device you have to go deep into the app to control it. Why can’t lights that are cleared to join the base station be grouped with the cameras in lighting? It really just seems like it’s a marketing strategy to force people to buy products from you or your partners… I could even get get behind that if y’all had more than just solar lights and smart bulbs…. Come on ring. Really?