Is solar charger working?

Hi,

I have a Ring 3 Plus with the solar charger. Had to get a replacement for the Ring as was faulty and wouldn’t charge with the solar panel (confirmed by Ring technical support). New doorbell installed and connected to solar. However…

Occasionally I see “not connected” in the status of the Ring app in relation to the solar status. When in bright sunlight I see “connected” and the message “Ring Solar Charger is connected and able to charge this device”. There’s never any increase in the battery level though and it is still going down.

Does “able to charge this device” mean it is actually charging or just that it has the capability to charge but isn’t?

Any thoughts?

Hi @Speedf. Thanks for sharing those details about what you’re seeing on your end in the Ring App. Since you have already been in touch with our support team and have previously received a replacement, would you mind following up with them regarding this concern? Our support team can pull up your account and take a closer look at your device as well as your previous support tickets so they have the full picture. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I’d also be really interested to get a general response to this question on here. I have exactly the same statuses - as the original post.

Does ‘a ring solar accessory is connected and able to charge this device’ mean that the charger is charging the doorbell? My charge is dropping 1% a day whilst showing this status.

My Wi-fi is strong and I am using all the recommended motion settings to preserve battery life. My solar panels for my stick up cams in comparison, show the same status and keep the cams topped up to 100% every day, even with cloudy skies.

Hi @Chris0576. Thank you for sharing the image. From the looks of things, your doorbell should be charging. Depending on the number of events per day, the Solar Charger may not be able to keep up with charging your Doorbell. The Solar Charger provides a trickle charge that, under normal use, maintains the battery charge. How many recorded events/live views do you use per day?

There have been 20 motion events today, no live views. My motions sensitivity is set middle of the range and I’ve set up a zone close to my door.

Hi @Chris0576. 20 motion events per day is not what I would consider excessive. The only thing that might be causing your Solar Charger to not perform optimally, would be the amount of direct sunlight it receives per day. The Solar Charger requires at least 4 hours of direct sunlight per day. If direct sunlight is an issue, you may benefit from a Plug-In Adapter. I hope this helps.

Thanks @Tom_Ring , the weather has been a little bad here in the last couple of weeks, so will wait to see how it performs when things improve.