Is it possible to reconnect a disconnected device remotely?

Hey,

I recently bought an indoor camera to keep an eye on my apartment while I’m out of state. It recently went offline due to my internet gateway going down. I suspect that there was a power surge or outage.
I was able to restart my gateway remotely and now my WiFi is up. Is it possible for me to reconnect my camera remotely?
In the Ring app, I clicked the “Reconnect This Device”. It then asked if my wifi network name or password has changed, I clicked “No, It Hasn’t”. It then brings me to a Troubleshoot Connection screen.

The camera should come back online on it’s own after a power outage. Unless it was damaged by a power spike or something else.

Same trouble today. On vacation and the power went out for 2 minutes. Now the video security I have will not connect and is worthless. Shopping for new service when I get home. Kind of pointless to have security camera you have to be home to operate. I would like a refund for hardware.

1 Like

I use Ring cameras for security in 2 different cities with 2 different internet companies. I have 6 Ring cameras in one city and 4 Ring cameras in the other city. In the last 2 months, I had my cable internet go down at different times in each city. I lost my Ring cameras connectivity related to the each location outage. The last time, I lost the security cameras for 5 days because I was out of town.

Of course, I was in the other city when the internet connection went out in each location. It is major flaw in a security system when it doesn’t automatically reconnect or reboot. Are we using the 1980s for a solution? Basically, physically turn it off and then physically back on then it will work. I don’t have security video until I’m back in town. It is also a pain to have to reconnect individually cameras when you have this many cameras if you are in town.

I also use another brand of cameras in my location going down today. The other brand of cameras are connected to the same wifi router and internet cable modem. When the internet service was restored, the other brand of cameras came back online. I’m not going to mention the other brand on Ring’s website.

I prefer Ring to the other brand of cameras but this connectivity issue is unacceptable from a security system. The Ring camera doesn’t reconnect on its own or can’t be remotely reconnected after an internet outage. Ring security cameras don’t make me feel very secure.

1 Like

Hey neighbors. Your Ring Camera or Doorbell should automatically reconnect to wifi after a temporary wifi or power outage. If your Ring device doesn’t automatically reconnect, the issue may be that the signal is not strong enough. If the signal is weak or unstable, your Ring device will have a harder time being able to reconnect after an outage. You can learn more here.

If this is a persistent problem, it would be best to follow up with our support team. They can review your device and network details to see what the issue might be. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.