INTERMITTENTLY REDUCING CAMERA LOADS ON HOME WIFI NETWORK

I have four Ring cameras on one home WiFi network, one of which is paired with a Ring Chime Pro extender. Recently, there has been a need on this network for an additional school-issued laptop for distance learning that requires an added WiFi connection for live-streamed instruction.

In order to reduce device load on this WiFi network to facilitate reliable connectivity for the added distance-learning laptop, can I simply deactivate “Record Motion” in the various Ring camera device Settings, or would I need to actually cut power to my Ring cameras?

@hi808 wrote:

I have four Ring cameras on one home WiFi network, one of which is paired with a Ring Chime Pro extender. Recently, there has been a need on this network for an additional school-issued laptop for distance learning that requires an added WiFi connection for live-streamed instruction.

In order to reduce device load on this WiFi network to facilitate reliable connectivity for the added distance-learning laptop, can I simply deactivate “Record Motion” in the various Ring camera device Settings, or would I need to actually cut power to my Ring cameras?

@hi808 ,

Your cameras are always connected to the Wi-Fi. There is no OFF switch, so removing camera power is the only way to turn them OFF. But that’s OK, because the high Wi-Fi load happens when the video data-streaming is occurring on your cameras. So, yes, by toggling “Record Motion” will deactivate the camera from recording UNLESS one of your Alarm Modes (DISARM, HOME, AWAY) settings has that camera is ENABLED for either Motion Detection and Live View. When you select a Alarm Mode that ENABLE this camera, then that Alarm Mode will over-ride the “Record Motion” camera setting and the camera WILL record when triggered by detected motion (Motion Detection Enable in Mode) or you when you command a Live-View (Live View Enable in Mode). So also check all 3 of your Alarm Modes too.

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Boone! Your explanation makes perfect sense, as all I want to do is reduce the data stream loads from my cameras for about 6-hours each remote-learning school day. As added insurance, I’ll use a temporary Ethernet patch cord from the remote-learning laptop to the network router. Mahalo (thank you) again, Boone.

2 Likes

@hi808 wrote:

Thank you, Boone! Your explanation makes perfect sense, as all I want to do is reduce the data stream loads from my cameras for about 6-hours each remote-learning school day. As added insurance, I’ll use a temporary Ethernet patch cord from the remote-learning laptop to the network router. Mahalo (thank you) again, Boone.

@hi808 , You’re welcome. My pleasure! Thank you for your kind words :slight_smile: