Indoor Cam Constantly Disconnects

I have an indoor cam in my garage and is frequently disconnecting. Its either connected to my home wifi directly or to my chime pro. It’ll stay connected for a few days or so then I’ll find it disconnected again and having to go through the steps of reconnecting. Its starting to get frustrating. Any ideas?

@Regmeister wrote:
I have an indoor cam in my garage and is frequently disconnecting. Its either connected to my home wifi directly or to my chime pro. It’ll stay connected for a few days or so then I’ll find it disconnected again and having to go through the steps of reconnecting. Its starting to get frustrating. Any ideas?

Hello @Regmeister ,

As long as you have a good RSSI value on your Indoor Cam’s “Device Health” page, your cam should remain connected to your Wi-Fi or your Chime Pro. For RSSI values:

• Bad (-61 to -90) is critical and will likely cause a loss of functionality or be unable to maintain a usable connection to the Wi-Fi altogether.
  • Fair (-60 to -41) is sufficient. Possible connection issues if constantly at -60.
  • Good (-40 or better) is virtually no interference and a very strong signal.

If speeds are not sufficient, but the router is right near the Ring device, the RSSI can certainly read a strong value. It only knows the signal strength, but it does not measure the resources otherwise. To measure that you will want to run a speed test.

https://www.bandwidthplace.com/

You can also find online tips and help on the Ring Support pages, such as:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030391371-Improving-your-Ring-Device-Connectivity-

I would also recommend performing a hard Factory Reset on your Indoor Cam. It is possible that during your initial setup, or during one of the automatic firmware updates, your cam might not have downloaded a good clean firmware update, and this slightly corrupted coding is causing ‘glitching’ occasionally.

Prior to doing this Factory Reset, have your Wi-Fi password handy, and your phone’s GPS location already enable (if you had GPS off). This Factory Reset will restore your cam back to the way it was departing the manufacturer. It also cleans out any subsequent downloaded firmware that might be slightly corrupted, so you start again fresh. It is best that you do this with your camera near your Wi-Fi router to help with the firmware download.

A Factory Reset is accomplished by pressing the reset button on the top of your Indoor cam, and continue to hold that button for > 20-seconds. Then release the button and after it ‘wakes up’ again, complete the rest of setup. Proceed and complete the entire setup, and when you get to the part where the App offers you to “Skip” button, DO NOT. This is a delicate part of the setup, where it is going to download all the latest available Firmware. This could take up to 5 or 6 minutes, depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi. Even when your hear her say, “Your Ring Video Cam is now ready” still wait and do not continue for a while. Continue on the next App pages until reaching the page that has the “Skip Button” and stop there. Wait until this page steps to the next page on its own. Even after your App goes to the next step, I wait another minute. Yeah, I’m a little paranoid and I don’t like to rush this part. You want to provide your cam the opportunity to get a nice, clean firmware download, without proceeding on to change settings while this download is simultaneously occurring. A little patience here can help avoid having to start all over again with another Factory Reset.

And then, if this all doesn’t correct your issue, I would telephone Ring Support for help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope this information is helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I attempted the steps to factory reset and unfortunately the camera disconnected again this afternoon. I will be reaching out to support.

2 Likes