Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
M
Improve person detection / alerts
hardwired-security-cameras
motion-settings
app-request

I get false alerts every single day and night, for things that are not people, being detected as people, by my Ring system. This includes insects, squirrels, shadows, etc.

I had one dozen Nest cameras running for 6+ years and rarely ever got a false alert, maybe once every 6 months total, people detection was accurate. In contrast, with Ring, I have been running a few cameras for the past two months and have experienced multiple false alerts nearly every day and night, totaling hundreds (100s) of false alerts in only two months. I have Nest cameras side-by-side the ring cameras, with the same settings to only notify me of People, and the Ring cameras are highly inaccurate based on my testing.

As a security professional, false alerts actually decrease security, which is not good.

My ask is simple, for Ring to please improve people detection / alerts. AI and machine learning exists in 2022. Insects, squirrels, shadows are not people. Please improve!

PS. I have done extensive troubleshooting, contacted Ring support, etc, to no avail. So this is now a feature request.

Thank you

19-08-2022 02:19:35

Responses (15)

R
We are having the same issue, the bugs keep the flood lights on all night. The ring camera doesn’t record the bugs but the the flood light sensor is really sensitive, I have went through multiple settings and the only solution is to manually turn on the light and keep the motion-activated light settings off which defeates the whole purpose of the flood light. I agree that ring needs to fix this issue.

22-08-2022 03:08:56

P
Yup my notifications go off every day with nothing there. Very frustrating when you’re trying to catch thieves!

24-08-2022 08:13:25

U
I agree completely. I spent $thousands to put ring cameras all around and inside my house and they alert as a “person” for every spider, spiderweb with due drops on it, bee, wasp, or ant that crosses close. It happens several times every night as well as during the day, with these. It’s gotten so that I ignore the alerts or have to turn them off which defeats the entire purpose of more having ringed my home with Ring security cameras. The icing on the cake is that I was taking my garbage out last night and the ring cameras did not acknowledge me as a person walking in their zone. So now I have security cameras that only go off, wrongly, for incest, and not for actual people! Ring, please help. I cannot afford to replace the entire system with a Nest system. Did I buy the wrong thing? Very discouraging.

29-08-2022 10:39:25

U
( sorry- dew drops, and insects)

29-08-2022 10:41:14

M
Can someone from Ring team answer why when one selects to be notified about People only via smart alerts they still get alerts for regular motion?? That is either a bug or needs improvement..

21-09-2022 06:07:44

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User