How to set delay on motion detector

Hi, newbie question after setting up my new Ring alarm system. When I arm the ‘Home’ setting I have turned off monitoring for the landing motion detector for when walking around upstairs at night time. However when coming downstairs when the kitchen motion detector picks you up the alarm goes off instantly. Is there a way to set a delay on the kitchen motion detector to give you a few seconds to disarm the alarm? Not a problem for me and the wife as we can disarm through the app before going downstairs but the kids don’t have this so need to use the keypad. Thanks.

Hi @Davyboy16. Yes, you can change the Placement setting of your kitchen Motion Detector from Room to Entryway, which will allow the Entry and Exit Delay settings you have to apply to that Motion Detector. For information on adjusting your Entry and Exit Delay, check out this Help Center article.

To change the Placement setting of your Motion Detector, follow the steps below in the Ring app:

• Tap the menu in the top left.
  • Tap Devices.
  • Locate the kitchen Motion Detector. If you have Doorbells or Cameras, you will need to tap on the Alarm Base Station to get the Alarm Devices list.
  • Tap Device Settings and select Placement.
  • Tap Entryway and hit the save button in the top right corner.

Now when your system is armed and the kitchen Motion Detector detects motion, the Entry delay will kick in so you have some time to disarm the alarm. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

That’s fantastic, thank you so much for your help.

On the back of that can I ask one more thing please?

As I have the back door sensor set as main door for placement to give me the delay when coming home is there a way to make this alarm instantly when ‘Home’ is set? If someone was to break in using the back door there is a 30 second delay when ‘Home ‘ is set and obviously I’d prefer not to give them 30 seconds to get into the house when we are asleep upstairs. Thanks again.

1 Like

@Davyboy16 That’s a great question! At this time, you cannot have the Placement setting automatically change depending on which Mode you have your system in. I ran a quick search on our Feature Request board and found a suggestion that seems to match yours below.

I’d recommend voting on that request, as we use the Feature Request board as a way to gather and share your feedback and ideas with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like