Ring Accessories

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring Chime, Chime Pro, and more.
T
How do you know if your solar panel is working?
solar-panel
troubleshooting
I have the Ring stick up cam battery and have attached the solar panel and I don’t see any way to check if it is actually working. I just got a notice my battery is low in the camera. We have had lots of sun lately so I don’t understand and wonder if the panel is even working!!

10-11-2019 12:38:57

Responses (10)

C
At this time, @Tuckerdog3 there is not a way to check connection in the app. However, we will certainly let you know if things change! In the meantime, did you charge your battery to 100% before installing? Keep in mind the Solar Panel will provide a trickle charge to your device, so you may see your battery lower one day, but be charged again the next. Let us know- we're here to help!

11-11-2019 11:00:19

M
What is the warranty on the solar panel? I think mine may not be working anymore. Mine worked great at first but now it won't charge my battery. I have to remove and charge it myself in the house.

13-11-2019 01:16:48

C
All products have the same Warranty, which you can learn more about [here.](https://shop.ring.com/pages/warranty)

13-11-2019 09:58:02

P
It is visible immediately! Perhaps you may need to check the power supply. I found only this article [Do Solar Panels Need Maintenance? - Blog About Solar Energy | Websolarguide](https://websolarguide.com/do-solar-panels-need-maintenance/)

28-11-2019 03:53:34

T
What do you mean check power supply! It has a battery and The solar panel I thought was supposed to be charging as battery in the camera was going down? The battery for my security camera keeps going down and the solar charger doesn’t seem to be affecting it .

29-11-2019 03:17:06

R
What we require is a charging symbol incorporated into the app so we can tell if the solar panel is charging the battery

02-12-2019 05:23:12

M
I have the same issues, just working over one year and now didn't charge anymore, feel frustrated

04-05-2020 06:11:56

M
I had this question with my new cameras, because I thought one wasn't charging, and noticed that each camera will show you differently that it's connected. Spotlight Cam - will actually state under "Solar Status" - "Connected" Stick Up Cam - will NOT state connected under "Solar Status" but will show the battery is charging on the battery symbol on the cameras main page by showing the lightning bolt symbol in it. It would be nice if a firmware update was done for the Stick Up Cam so that it stated "Connected" under the "Solar Status" section of the app.

30-05-2020 06:11:17

C
Hey neighbors! Thank you for working with each other in this thread to resolve your concern with your device not registering the solar panel as connected in the app. We did have this bug in the app before where it would ask you to add a solar panel to extend your battery life, which has seen been resolved. At this time, if your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your device's Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your Ring device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panel and at the connection. After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring camera by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). If you are outside of the US, please go [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360041597471) to see how to contact support.

01-06-2020 04:31:21

K
My panel had stopped working , so I tried all of Chelsea\_Ring's recommendations, but still not working. Then I examined the wiring more closely and noticed that a critter had chewed right through the cable from the panel to the camera! Suspect either a crow or a squirrel. They were crafty enough to remain behind the camera, so they didn't get caught on camera :smiley: Anyway, spliced the two wires in the cable together, soldered them, taped each individual wire carefully with electrical tape, and then around the whole cable, and now it's working fine again.

16-07-2020 11:47:59

T
Hi. Did you get an answer. I have same issue

03-12-2020 02:10:06

C
One of the responses from Ring earlier in this thread did note that the status should display a value noting the presence of the Solar Panel. This has been inconsistent. At times, the Solar Status displayed a value which noted that it was present. At other times, such as is currently the case for me again, the Solar Status displays Not Connected. Obviously this continues to be a trouble spot. The only reason I would consider buying the solar panel for the Video Doorbell 2 is that it MIGHT be working regardless. I already had one replaced after a month or two of ownership, but without a reliable way to tell if it’s actually connected and/or working, it’s hard to recommend.

03-12-2020 02:56:18

S
I just installed a new stick up cam with a solar panel. Battery level has dropped from 31% to 29% over the last 36 hours. There is good sunlight. There is no indication that the solar panel is connected and working. No charge icon in the battery display as you find on nearly every smartphone. No indication at all in the device health section. Is the answer to put a voltmeter on the output of the solar panel? Seems like an icon would be easier… Or maybe my new solar panel is not working. How can I tell? Surely there is a view of this somewhere in the ring app

02-01-2021 07:22:08

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User
Solutions