How do I get landscape lights to stay on longer than 1 minute after motion is detected?

I currently have wired landscape lights setup using a Ring Transformer.

The Transformer is linked to a Ring Floodlight Cam, as well as a Ring Doorbell.

The landscape lights are set to turn on for 5 minutes after motion is detected. However, they only stay on for one minute. This is the case when motion is detected by the Floodlight Cam or the Doorbell.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @MattH1. If you navigate to the Group settings in the Ring App and tap on Motion Settings, you should see an option for the auto-shutoff timer that will allow you to adjust it. You may want to try toggling it to a different time and then toggling it back to the desired time to refresh the settings. Let me know if that helps! :slight_smile:

Caitlin,

Unfortunately that was already set correctly to 5 minutes. I’ll also note that no matter what time I select (30 seconds, 3 minutes, etc.), the lights always turn back off 1 minute after motion is detected.

Any other recommendations?

Regards,
Matt

@MattH1 In this case, it might be best if you contact our support team directly so they can take a deeper look and offer more troubleshooting assistance in order to get this working properly. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Same problem here. I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro, a Ring Spotlight camera wired, a Ring Solar Floodlight, a Ring Bridge, and 4 Ring A19 Smart bulbs (in 2 different groups). I have the autoshutoff timer for both of the smart light groups for 5 minutes. I have both smart light groups linked to motion at the Doorbell and Spotlight cameras, so that if either one detects motion, it should turn both smart light groups on for 5 minutes. I have toggled the auto-shutoff timer away from 5 minutes and back several times. When ever motion occurs, the lights automatically turn off in 1 minute or less. Also, then I select “Turn on All Lights” from the Lights Dashboard, they also automatically turnoff in 1 minute or less.

I also have encountered these very issues and have found a solution that worked for me.

I believe this happens when motion is detected outside the light group you are triggering. For instance if I wanted to turn on my front yard lights when walking in by my backyard spotlight cam these become linked devices and will only trigger a 1 minute timer for the front yard lights. The auto timer will work for the spotlight cam that was trigger in its group but the front will cycle off after a minute. No matter what auto timer is set to in either group. Now say if you trigger the motion from a backyard spotlight cam and it will trigger the remaining lights in its group and they will all follow the auto timer you have set for that group. Only solution I found is too group all light that you want to trigger with motion must be in same group. So if you wanted backyard light to trigger front or vice versa then you would need this devices in a outside light group. Or if you wanted lights on side of house to trigger front then all of the lights need to be in a single grouping. I believe this happens because there is no setting for changing linked device timers. Auto shut off is a group timer.

Alternatively linked devices such as doorbells will only trigger the 60 sec timer because they are not part of the light group and are only linked to the lights through bridge. All motion must be trigger in same group with a bridged device to trigger the auto shut off function.

I could be totally off base here but these are just my assumptions and with trial and error this has worked for me.

Again to use the auto timer function all lights and motion detection must happen within its own group to trigger the auto shutoff feature and it must be from a device that is directly controlled by the smart light bridge such as A ring motion sensor, step light, spot light cam, etc…

1 Like