Help selecting device

What’s the diffrance between ring camera battery stick up and ring camera elite camera , both are wireless , I just want one for my back garden but do I go for the 69.99 or the 129.99 as not sure the diffrance

@Skyblue123 wrote:
What’s the diffrance between ring camera battery stick up and ring camera elite camera , both are wireless , I just want one for my back garden but do I go for the 69.99 or the 129.99 as not sure the diffrance

@Skyblue123,

The main differences when comparing the Ring Stick-up Cam Battery and the Stick-up Cam Elite is:

Stick-Up Cam Battery:

Uses Battery for operating power and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi for video data connection.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015669092-Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-2nd-Generation-Information

Stick-Up Cam Elite:

Can use an Ethernet cable to plug-in directly to your Wi-Fi router (for both data connection & power, comes with a 6 foot cable) and can also use Wi-Fi for data connection too (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and the mounting bracket is slightly different so that it can be hung from a ceiling or overhang.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032791691-Stick-up-Cam-Elite-Information

For more information on the other Security Cameras (information covering the functions, differences, power-sources, etc.), you can go to this link:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us and then select click “Read More” for Product Support, and then select “Security Cameras.” You’ll see a list of all the security cameras to pick from.

But to quickly cover the other commonalities and major differences between the Ring Security Cameras, I’ll touch on them to get you quickly pointed in the right direction. And because you said you want to monitor your garden, I’m assuming you do not want a Video Doorbell, so I won’t cover them.

Commonalities:

Almost all RIng Video products use wireless Wi-Fi at 2.4GHz to connect to your Wi-Fi router which enables you to access it through your Ring App. There are a few exceptions, like the Stick-Up Elite camera can use Wi-Fi 2.4GHz and 5GHz and Power over Ethernet (POE).

For outdoor use there are several choices, including some that come with external lights & an external siren too (Spotlight Cam & FloodLight Cam), but the most popular outdoor choice is the Stick-Up camera. For Indoor use, you can use the Stick-Up cam, but the most popular is the plug-in Ring Indoor Camera. But since you want one for your back yard, it sounds like you want to mount it outside, and the Indoor Camera is not designed for outdoor use (although I know many people that place the Indoor indoors, looking out a window to the outside . . . but you may have issues with window-reflection glare sometimes).

Also note that Ring Video cameras do not record 24/7, but rather only activate & notify you when they detect motion. You can activate “Live-View” on-demand at any time. If you want the ability to Record & Store these motion-activated videos, you will need to purchase an additional Ring Protection Plan (your camera purchase comes with a free one-month trial “Basic” Plan ). The “Basic” Plan is for one device, or the “Plus” Plan for more than one device and Professional Alarm monitoring. Without a Ring Plan, you have to immediately go to “Live-View” if you hope to see what activity set off your camera, and once your free trial is over you will not have any recordings.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

Major Differences:

Camera Power by Battery verses Plug-In : Most Ring Cameras are available in both the Plug-In version and the Battery version (an exception: Indoor Camera is only powered by Plug-In power through a USB port). For the cameras that are available in a Plug-In or Battery versions are often the exact same product. For example the Stick-Up Plug-In camera comes with a wire cord and the battery compartment is empty (but the battery compartment is still there), and the Battery version comes with the battery included, but it still has the plug-in jack on it. The obvious advantage of a battery-powered cam is that no power wires are needed. But you will have to occasionally recharge the battery, which pops out and recharges via USB port. Heavy/frequent motion-activations will accelerate battery use and require a recharge sooner.

Different Features of Battery vs Plug-In :

During your initial set-up you ‘tell’ the camera whether it will be powered by Battery or Plug-In power outlet, which will determine what programing Firmware it will download. Because the battery version has Battery-Life issues, many high-energy-drawing features that are available in the Plug-In version will not be available in the battery version. Some major feature options differences are:

• Recording-time Length per Motion-detection: Battery version records in 30-second video ‘batches’, and Plug-In in 60-second video ‘batches’. If the camera detects additional motion after finishing a ‘batch’ time, it should start another ‘batch’. NOTE: The Stick-up Plug-In cam just received a new firmware update (in the USA), allowing the option for up to a 120-second’batch’ setting (since all my cameras are Plug-In, I am not sure if the Battery version can do this but a higher ‘batch’ length time would deplete the battery even faster).

• Motion-Detection Zones: Battery version has simpler zone area, and the Plug-In version has highly modifiable-adaptive zones (which require more computing power).

• Snapshot Capture: With a Ring Protection Plan to record it, this feature takes a single still-frame picture at regular intervals between motion-activated videos. Available Battery Intervals options are every 1-hour, 14-minutes, or 5-minutes. Available Plug-In Intervals options are every 3-minutes, 1-minute, or 30-seconds.

• Motion Frequency: Only battery versions have this option, to extend battery life. The settings are “Frequent” (captures & notifies you about EVERY motion; Shortest battery life), the default setting of “Standard” (captures & notifies you about motion LESS often; standard battery life), and “Light” (captures & notifies you about motion EVEN LESS often, Maximum battery life). Therefore, unless you are willing to recharge more often, any setting other than “Frequent” has the potential to miss some critical video events. The Plug-In versions do not have this limitation.

My Camera Choice Recommendations:

• Purchasing at least the Basic Ring Protection Plan is a must , because of the stored recordings. These recordings are displayed on a “Timeline” banner and on a “History” page in your Ring App, and are stored on the Ring Cloud for 2-month (in some countries it is only stored for 1-month). A Ring Plan also stores 7-days worth of “Snapshots”, if you use this option feature.

• I understand there are times when utilizing a Plug-In version just isn’t feasible. But whenever a nearby outlet is available, try to purchase a Plug-In Version. I know it is an extra hassle to route a power wire to the camera, and how nice & easy it is to just mount a Battery version,. But you won’t have the many features of the Plug-In version that I listed above. Now if you decide the extra Plug-In options have little impact on what you need, then the Battery version may be just what you need.

I hope this information helps you decide which Ring Security Camera is best for you! :slight_smile: