Hardwiring Checklist: Battery-Powered Video Doorbells

I don’t know about you, but my personal preference is hardwiring all of my Ring Doorbells to get the most out of them. Whether I’m looking to provide a charge to my battery-powered Doorbells or operate an existing chime kit, hardwiring your Video Doorbell can come with great benefits. ( Hardwire eligible battery-powered Doorbell models include the: Video Doorbell Classic (1st Gen), Video Doorbell (2020 Release) , Video Doorbell 3 , and Video Doorbell 3 Plus. )

It is important to know that 8v to 24v AC is the power supply requirements for trickle charging your battery-powered Ring Video Doorbell, however, your power supply is often times not the only component in your wiring setup.

Below is a list of some common and not so common power-related factors I have come across during different installations in my friends and family homes:

If these steps seem too advanced or unfamiliar to you, hiring a licensed electrician is recommended.

Transformer Rating. Our battery-powered Doorbells can be hardwired to an existing doorbell or a transformer - with a reading of 8-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz - to provide a trickle charge to your device .

• Using an existing chime kit (mechanical/digital)? Please reference our Chime Compatibility list specific to your Doorbell model to ensure it is compatible. In addition, when using a digital chime kit, a diode will be needed if you have a Video Doorbell Classic (1st Gen) or Video Doorbell (2020 Release) .
  • Chime kit incompatible or need to bypass it? When hardwiring a Doorbell directly to a transformer, please ensure you follow all instructions. You can find out more on how to wire your Doorbell to a low voltage transformer by finding the instructions in our Help Center here.
    • Check out our Wiring Diagrams for installation tips for certain Doorbell models. (A Wirewound Resistor can be purchased here, if needed.). Our Ring Chime is a great solution for transmitting your Doorbell’s chime alerts throughout the home if you do not have an internal chime kit.
  • Starting new with no existing wiring? For neighbors with a Video Doorbell 3, Video Doorbell 3 Plus, and/or Video Doorbell (2020 Release) battery-powered Doorbell models, consider our Plug-In Adapter as a convenient powering solution!
  • Questions about your wire type? Please ensure you’re using a standard 18 to 20 gauge wiring, as seen in this Help Center Article. Remember, the longer a run of wire, the more distance voltage must travel. Older, frayed, corroded wiring or crossed and loose wires at the mounting location can also impact charging and chime kit functionality.

When looking to obtain a trickle charge to your Video Doorbell’s battery, through hardwiring, it is important to combine the above suggestions with the usage tips in our Community post about battery draining.

Our Community is full of hardwiring suggestions and scenarios shared by neighbors, but this checklist is a great foundation for success. Feel free to let us know if this was helpful to you, and if you have any hardwiring or battery-related variables to add for other neighbors! If at any point these steps become too advanced for your comfort, hiring an electrician is recommended. For Video Doorbell Pro owners, click here for a guide just for you!

Please note: The Moderators Corner is a place for moderators to post tips for using Ring devices. Views expressed are the moderators’ own and not those of Ring.

2 Likes